Exchange 2003 Push Email

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JamboUK, Aug 14, 2008.

1. JamboUK macrumors member

Hi,

I am trying to get my work email to push to my iPhone. We run Exchange 2003 and I have been through all the check lists I can find to ensure that Activesync is up and running and the correct Firewall ports are open on router (indeed we have webmail up and running via OWA so I know that part of it is proven - in theory at least).

I appear to be missing something - the newbie in me! One thing is I don't know for sure what I should be using for the server settings on the iphone (like I know webmail is owa.companydomain.co.uk/exchange) and I have read that it is probably going to be oma.companydomain.co.uk (Exchange account verification failed). I use the same log on name and password as if I was using webmail or setting up a local Outlook account on a client.

Incidently when I put owa.companydomain.co.uk in the server field on the iPhone Exchange account DOES verify but Inbox is empty AND email will not send.

I am still not sure if it server side, wrong iPhone setup or my syntax is wrong. Can anyone give me some pointers? I should be able to set the iPhone up outside of network right? I don't need to be connected via VPN? (Questions I guess I know the answer to but sheer desperation! lol).

Now don't get me started on IMAP either!! What an afternoon!

2. manchoi44 macrumors member

Hi Jambo,

In my settings for iPhone sync with Exchange, in the Username field, I was told to put:

Server Name\SAM name.

maybe try that?

3. JamboUK thread starter macrumors member

SAM name? As in logon name for older client support?

4. manchoi44 macrumors member

So the settings are:

Email: your email address
    Username: Server\Account name (you should probably ask your Exchange admin for this info)
    Password: your password
    Description: whatever you want to label your Exchange on your phone.

And then after you click next, when it asks for "Server", you should insert your OWA address: owa.companydomain.co.uk

I believe that the reason why nothing is downloading is because you are hitting the server, but b/c your "username" is incorrect, the email/contacts/calendars are not synchronizing.

p.s. - the SAM name for me is the first 20 characters of my email address with the @ replaced by an underscore:

e.g. - my email address is test.email@testdomain.com; the SAM name would be: test.email_testdomai

5. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

These are my settings and it works for whatever that's worth

6. JamboUK thread starter macrumors member

OK...thanks for coming back to me with additional information. A couple of things surprise me here.

1. You are using the OWA server address as opposed to a OMA which seems to be in most write ups (which I was trying to do originally and had more success with).

2. Where you state server in the username field I assume you mean domain?

3. When I attempt to use what I would assume to be the SAM name I keep getting asked for a password by the iPhone which rejects everytime as being wrong. Where as if I now use the OWA and use my usual Outlook username and password it verifies fine and never prompts me to re-enter password. But still the inbox is empty.

Is there anyway by looking on the Active Directory on the server I can check to see if the SAM name is used so I can eliminate that theory?

4. I have full access to all our company servers as admin (but I am not as hands on as I used to be having had to step back - so hence a little rusty!). So.... where the iPhone is asking for domain....this is the local network domain right? As in something like obtuse.local (but missing the local off).

So I would be entering obtuse\firstname.lastname in the username field. The same password I log on to the network when using my standard username in the password field?

Something that has occured to me now reverting back to the OWA server setting. We currently get a security certificate error when accessing webmail via the https://owa.companydomain.co.uk address which we just by-pass currently until sorted. Could this be the problem for the iPhone? Is it related? Or am I confusing the two?

Thanks again.

7. JamboUK thread starter macrumors member

OK - update... I can now see that I am generating an Event Log on the server (Event ID 3029) at the point my iPhone authenticates with the server (using OWA.companydomain.co.uk).

At which point the iPhone states at the top of the screen "Configured synced with (null)"

8. JamboUK thread starter macrumors member

This seems to be leading me to believe it is SSL certificate related.

Anyone who is a wiz with Exchange 2003 SP2?

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You should get the certificate error on the phone too, and it'll give you an option to continue anyway. You can't miss the message (it pops up on top) so you're not even getting that far :(

10. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc