exchange 2010 MBP for 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BradleyGaulden, May 17, 2011.

1. BradleyGaulden macrumors member

So i just bought my first mac! the 15 inch i5 2010 model from the apple refurb store! i like it, but i was thinking about exchanging for the 2011 quad core 15 inch MBP! can anyone really compare those for me? im an architecture student, so i do moderate Adobe stuff, but mostly just for surfing and typing up papers and stuff, i think this one will be fine, but i dunno i always just have a thing for wanting the best of the best!

2. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Youll be fine with the one you have, if you always want the best then you'll run out of money with apple

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I have both in identical configurations. Go for the 2010, the 2011 runs too warm. Heat's always an issue with super thin Apple laptops, as there are no vents. Heat must radiate up through the keyboard and be dissipated via the aluminum case. So Apple compensates by setting it up so it shuts down if it gets too hot, yet I am not comfortable with that solution.

I have a new, one week old quad core workstation class ThinkPad, and when I run it hard it's cool as can be for hours on end. I'm getting rid of my 2011 MBP, and keeping the 2010. It's warm too, just not as bad. There are software patches and tools to adjust fan speeds but it's something the Apple engineers should have gotten right before shipping it. They place more value on looks than functionality. Anyway keep that in mind.

For the work you describe there is no advantage whatsoever to the 2011.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Sorry, but you cannot return the refurbished computer for anything other than another refurbished. Apples policy is to only exchange if there are defects. They do not offer refunds on refurbished either.

5. xxBURT0Nxx, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

ummm idk where you got this information but i'm pretty sure the refurbs have the same 14 day return policy that all of the other computers have....

Anyways, you aren't going to notice a difference to be honest. Surfing the net, typing papers, etc isn't going to go faster because of the newer processor. Stick with what you have imo.

edit-
    from the apple site:
    http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund?mco=MTM3NDgyOTE

I don't see anything that says you cannot return a refurbished product.....

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not sure where you are getting that info. The only non-returnable items I see posted on Apple.com are:

"Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

Personalized products, such as engraved iPods and iPads
    Opened memory
    Opened software*
    Electronic Software Downloads
    Software Up-to-Date Program Products (i.e., software upgrade subscription product)
    Apple Gift Cards
    Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)
    Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)"

However, I believe you MUST return to the online store. The retail stores will not accept them b/c they don't have the SKUs in their system.

That said, yes, I would return the 2010 for the 2011. 2011s are being very well discounted now (check out appleinsider.com's price guide matrix). 2011s are much faster and the inclusion of TB "future proofs" you for a couple more years. 2010s might save you a couple hundred upfront, but will cost you on the backend.

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I stand corrected, it appears that Apple has changed their policy on refurbished items. They now allow you 14 days to return the item if not satisfied.