Exchange 2013 BTO iMac with Minimal Down Time?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Johnf1285, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Hi Everyone,

So as some may know from my frequent posts that I have an issue with some dust/debris stuck between the glass panel and LCD screen on my recent 2013 27" iMac. If it wasnt dead center in the screen and off to the very corner (and just 1, not 3), I would totally just live with it. But with my OCD personality and coming from a 21.5" 2012 iMac with a perfect screen, it is tough to justify just leaving it as is.

(The jump to the 27" is due to it's more future proof nature. I jumped the gun last year when I ordered the 21.5" and really should have waited for the 27". I am coming very close to maxing out the 8gb of ram and stupidly decided against ordering 16 at the time too. Now I am paying for it.)

With all this being said - I am reconsidering keeping the 27" (or a replacement 27" that is). Is it possible to exchange this 27" and have minimal downtime during the process? I have heard of stories of Apple shipping a replacement and allowing the customer to keep their existing machine until the replacement arrived. Once it came, they just gave the old one to the UPS/Fedex person and took the new one. How would I go about doing this, as I would like to have minimal down time and get work done instead of waiting 2 weeks for a replacement.

Thanks!

2. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Update:

Just got off the phone, they're sending out a replacement and letting me hang on to the current one in the mean time. This person on the phone was a million times more helpful than the other person.

The first time I called I was basically told to try and find a close configuration at a local Apple Store and do all the exchanging/returning there :rolleyes:. Or to just return it and reorder it through the online store.

3. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Here is the latest exchange update if anyone is curious:

Available to ship: 5 - 7 business days
    Delivers: Oct 17 - Oct 21 by 2-3 Business Days

Configuration
    • NVIDIAGeForceGTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    • 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
    • 512GB Flash Storage
    • MAGIC MOUSE+MAGIC TRACKPAD
    • Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG
    • COUNTRY KIT

Have until the 19th to send the current one back. If it is like last time, this replacement may arrive 2 days sooner than indicated. Very thankful that I am able to hang onto the current one until the replacement arrives.

4. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

Thats a nice deal! And a sweet computer, congrats.

5. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Hopefully the new one won't have more than three of whatever those things are.

6. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Yep. Hopefully no issues. I think this dust/debris is worse than a stuck/dead pixel!