Exchange Account Keeps Deleting

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by gthorson, Sep 25, 2018.

1. gthorson macrumors member

I upgraded to Mojave today on my 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

I'm trying to use Apple Mail with Duo authentication. It works perfectly with my Mac Mini, but with the MacBook Pro, it deletes the Exchange account repeatedly within minutes after successfully authenticating.

Any advice?

2. konoyei macrumors newbie

I am having the exact problem tonight. I was on the phone with support. They have me added that same exchange account under a different user account on the computer. The exchange account stayed in the different user account, so they are going to call me back tomorrow to find a solution. They suspected the mail preference plist is corrupted.

3. petterihiisila macrumors member

Same here. The only solution was to disable iCloud Keychain. At least for now. That way the account stays put.

4. gthorson thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for sharing. Did they call you back?

5. konoyei macrumors newbie

They did. Long story short, they are still investigating.

We tested couple things:
    1. Adding exchange account without checking mail to sync (Only syncing calendar, notes and reminders). Account disappeared just like in Mail.
    2. We removed the V6 folder in Mail under Library to another location and restart the computer. After rebooting and starting Mail, the app rebuild the database and the exchange account stays on but it is not pulling any new mail (confirmed with a test email sent through and able to sync using iOS as well as the Outlook app on the computer but not the Mail app).
    So basically they don't know what's going on, they capture some data from my computer and their engineer gonna look into it. If you only have problem keeping the account on, try the V6 folder trick and see if it helps, but if it also doesn't pull in any new mail, then I am not sure.

6. asfalloth macrumors regular

asfalloth

I had this exact problem with multiple exchange accounts, believe it or not spending a day reloading from Mojave fresh was the quickest way to solve it for me.

It was a gamble but I had it in mind I wanted to reload anyway, and didn't think anyone at apple would be able to help this early on into Mojave, so two birds one stone and all that :)

7. petterihiisila macrumors member

If you don't mind, please keep this thread up to date if you learn more from Apple. I can retain the Exchange account by having iCloud Keychain off, but that's not a great long term solution.

8. konoyei macrumors newbie

Still no update from Apple, but the syncing issue seems to fix itself (have been working fine for couple days). So I am guessing rebuilding the database (deleting the V6 folder) did the trick.

9. marte79 macrumors newbie

We have multiple macs running mac mail in our environment. Just came across this same exact issue with one of our MacBook Pros. New mail was not flowing as well as other issues so we decided to rebuild the mail box as a last resort. After entering credentials the Exchange account deletes itself after about 20 seconds. I tried deleting the V6 folder however the account was still deleting itself. Disabling the icloud keychain is the only thing that allowed the mailbox to remain intact. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

10. cgiacomi, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

cgiacomi macrumors newbie

I think I solved it...

I went into Keychain -> iCloud and deleted anything that was related to exchange. Then I disabled iCloud Keychain and in Keychain waited for the icloud icon to disappear and the 'local' folder to appear... then I searched again for anything that was related to Exchange and deleted even that.

I then added the Exchange account and waited for everything to sync... and waited 10 min to ensure it would not disappear as before.

At this point I then re-enabled iCloud Keychain and that seemed to work... Exchange account still present :)

UPDATE: Nope, I still have the problem... I had to disable iCloud Keychain to get it to work.