Exchange activesync problems with iOS 5 Beta 1 and Beta 2

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by choi3781, Jun 26, 2011.

1. choi3781 macrumors member

Hey you guys, I'm unable to connect to my Exchange server. It won't verify my credentials for some reason and I've used the exact same settings that worked for me in 4.3.3. This problem is occurring with both Beta 1 and Beta 2.

Our company is using Exchange 2003 and have had no problem setting up the activesync settings on my iphones previously. Any ideas?

After I put in the settings (including the owa.xxx.com server address), I get a pop-up error message that reads:

Exchange Account
    Unable to verify account information.

If I revert back to 4.3.3, everything goes back to normal again. What gives?!

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Could it be a certificate issue? Do you get any warnings about certificates? Did you try turning SSL off and then back on to see if you get certificate prompt? I am not running the beta of iOS5 so I am unable to test this myself, just thinking out loud. I wouldn't necessarily expect the behaviour to be the same as iOS 4.x.x either, they may have changed something. You should suggest your company upgrade their exchange as well, the latest version is 2010 and its already over a year old.

3. tobeychris macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem.

From what I have read, it seems to be a problem with forced encryption policies not being configured properly. I was hoping this was fixed with Beta2, but no luck.

4. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Does your company also use Exchange 2003 or a newer version? Perhaps 2007 or 2010?

5. tobeychris macrumors newbie

On the OWA site it says Copyright 2007, so I'm guessing Exchange 2007.

6. tobeychris macrumors newbie

When setting up the exchange account, it should ask to install the required certificates, but it doesn't. I manually installed both the root and email certificates and still no luck. I also enabled the forced features I could think of (complex passcode, wipe device after 10 fails) and still no luck.

7. choi3781 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should say that I'm glad that someone else is having the same problem but I definitely hope we get our issues resolved. I've pretty much tried everything too. I originally thought this was related to the EAS policy issue that was in Beta 1 (which supposedly got fixed in Beta 2), but it definitely appears to be something else. Very annoying!

I'm wondering if Exchange 2010 users are clear of this issue. I'm on '03.

8. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Same issue

I've been having the same issue. Started with iOS Beta 1. I was disappointed to find that Beta 2 didn't fix it. I have a developer account so I have filed a bug report with Apple. Hopefully they can shed some light on whats happening. I have tried almost every possible AES setting to fix the problem with no luck.

9. choi3781 thread starter macrumors member

Any luck, guys?

Just wanted to check in and see if you guys had any luck. No luck on my end ...:confused::confused:

10. stewie7669 macrumors member

I can continue to use my exchange email and account with iOS5 beta 2 but the issue I'm having is when I have calendar set to sync via ActiveSync, the iOS calendar app freezes upon launching and will crash and go back to the home screen about 10 seconds after.

Funny, however, is that it only seems to be my company's exchange server that causes this. If I set my hotmail or gmail accounts as exchange accounts, turning on calendar doesnt' cause that issue.

Hopefuly this will be fixed in beta 3

11. choi3781 thread starter macrumors member

installing Beta 3

I'm currently downloading Beta 3. Will install and report back here. *fingers crossed*

12. stewie7669 macrumors member

Still same issue on beta 3, darn it! If you enable a calendar on exchange server iOS calendar app locks up if that exchange calendar app is enabled.

13. choi3781 thread starter macrumors member

Stewie, that sucks. Sounds like your issue is a bit different than mine, however. I'm still downloading the firmware ...

My issue was that I could not even authenticate on my company's exchange server, but things were just fine in 4.3.3.

14. stewie7669 macrumors member

What I'm fining quite puzzling is that I can't seem to find anyone else having this issue when I google it.

Exchange email, contacts and tasks work fine.n I can't exactly have my work help me because I'm not supposed to use apple products!

15. choi3781 thread starter macrumors member

Problem fixed in beta 3!!!

My issue has been resolved in Beta 3. After upgrading the firmware and then restoring my phone, my Exchange account loaded up just fine and synced up my mail, contacts, calendar, etc. without a hitch. No authentication issues whatsoever, in fact my username/password carried over automatically.

16. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Me too!

Yep, Beta 3 fixed the same issue for me. So glad this was finally resolved. Hope my log files helped the cause.

17. Surferboy macrumors newbie

Hi Stewie,

I also have exactly the problem you are describing, and unfortunately it remains in Beta 3. As soon as I deactivate syncing with my Exchange server the calendar is working fine, but when switching on sync with Exchange the calendar is freezing - and it's only valid for the calendar. Contacts, mail & reminders are working just fine.

Weird...

18. stewie7669 macrumors member

Hey! This is GREAT news. Not to sound like your mother, but please fill out a official bug report along with the crash logs to apple. Two reports are certainly better than one.

Another interesting part of this, I installed beta 3 on my daughters iPod touch 4G, and it DOES NOT have the exchange calendar problem. So this is limited to iPad or iPad 2 (I have the 2)

19. Surferboy macrumors newbie

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have a developer license= I don't know if I have access to file a bug report. I've just registered my UDID with some developer to be able to install the betas. Am running it on the Ipad 1G.