Exchange apple store without sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dethklok7, Nov 14, 2008.

1. dethklok7 macrumors member

So I have a first generation iphone still under warrentee. I went to the apple store today to get an exchange because the phone's back housing isn't flushed. They said they could exchange my phone but they aren't allowed to let phones leave the store without being activated. I don't have an account with at&t thus I couldn't give them a sim card to activate the phone when they give me an exchange. Does anyone know of a way I can get around this situation? Is it possible to get a sim for a pay as you go plan and use that to activate the iphone?

2. dethklok7 thread starter macrumors member

basically i'm asking if i can use a gophone sim with my iphone without any hacks so i can exchange it at an apple store

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You should call Apple instead and have them send a box for you to return it and then get a replacement. Might end up being easier.

4. whitemp5seattle macrumors newbie

do you have any friends that use AT&T? could you borrow their sim card for a few hours and take it into the apple store?

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You might be between a rock and a hard place, since your v1 iPhone is unlocked and probably jailbroke. They definitely will not exchange an iPhone that is unlocked or JB, so as others have suggested, find a friend that has an AT&T SIM card or get the GoPhone SIM card, and you should be ok...:eek:

6. MST macrumors 6502

MST

That's not always the case, at least not over here in the UK, just be sure to wipe all traces of a jailbreak/unlock.

I had a similar situation quite recently; albeit in the UK, I had a 2G iPhone that had been jailbroken etc which I wanted to exchange for a refurb due to a number of issues. After speaking to the Genius about the problem he agreed to exchange it but stated that I would need to activate the handset in-store, however, because I have an O2 contract SIM (as opposed to an O2 iPhone SIM) he simply connected the refurb to iTunes and all I had to do was enter my username and password and the handset was activated.

Your best bet would be to get hold of an AT&T SIM and just activate it [as I did] using that.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The Go Phone is a "pay as you go" SIM card from AT&T here in the USA...:cool:

8. MST macrumors 6502

MST

^ Well whatever it's called, just so long as it works...personally I don't think you'll have a problem.

Be sure to let us know how you get on OP ;)

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, the Go Phone SIM card works well with the v1 iPhone...:p

10. dethklok7 thread starter macrumors member

So I can use a gophone sim without needing to unlock or jailbreak? I asked someone at the at&t store if i could and they said if i try to activated my first generation iphone with it, it wont let me. has anyone else tried this?