Exchange @ Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TaporSnap, Oct 2, 2014.

1. TaporSnap macrumors newbie

TaporSnap

So it appears that there is 128g 6 Plus available at my local Apple Store. I bought an iPhone 6 at AT&T, can I exchange at Apple?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

2. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

No. You can only return a phone to the Apple store if you bought it there. You would have to return the 6 to AT&T (and pay their restocking fee) then buy the 6 plus at Apple

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No, you have to return the phone where you got the phone. So in this case, it's AT&T, return the phone to AT&T, get eligibility back (if you used one) and go to the apple store and get the 6 Plus that you want. Also ask the AT&T rep to see how long it takes to get the eligibility back. I heard that in some cases it's instant to about 5 days out.

4. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

Conversely, is it true that if I got my iPhone 6 at the Apple Store I can exchange it for an iPhone 6 Plus at the Apple Store?

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

In that case, yes you can. Apple to Apple you can exchange. AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint to Apple, Nope.

6. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Now all I have to do is hope they get some Pluses in stock :)

7. TaporSnap thread starter macrumors newbie

TaporSnap

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Just figured it would be worth mentioning that technically it isn't an exchange unless the phones are of equal value (because then it could be done in a single transaction).

Otherwise the phone is returned to a gift card then that card is used to purchase the new phone.

If for example you wanted to return a 6 plus for a lower value 6 and wanted the difference back in your account then you can return to your credit card, just note then that the refund may not be instantaneous, and there may be a slight delay depending on your bank.

A lot of waffle that probably won't apply to you OP, but the last bit is important for those who don't have a big credit limit and want to purchase their replacement phone right away.

9. 3pp macrumors member

When doing an exchange of an iPad or iPhone at the Apple Store, regardless of value, the refund is done onto a gift card (unless it's a swap for something of lower value in which case the difference is refunded and the rest is put onto a gift card). You cannot return and sell an iPhone/iPad in the same 'transaction', they have to be done separately for some reason - something to do with the IMEI/Activation server.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Correct. It'll have to be refunded onto gift card/credit card, and "rebought".