Exchange data on two hard drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sawxray, Mar 10, 2011.

1. sawxray macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 MBP, and have just bought a 2011 MBP.

A few months ago, I installed a 7200 RPM HD on the 2009 MBP. My new one has the base 5400 HD.

I have migrated all the data from the 2009 to the 2011, and have been using the 2011 MBP for a couple of weeks.

I would like to be able to transfer all the data, and the machine-specific info, from the 2011 HD to the faster HD currently in the 2009 MBP, and then transfer the data and machine-specific info currently on the faster HD currently in the 2009 MBP to the new, slower HD in the 2011 MBP. I will then physically transfer the HDs from each machine to the other. I understand I will probably be best cloning, since each HD needs that specific information to run on its respective computer.

I have a fast OWC external HD, which runs on FW 800.

I have a fast Synology NAS with plenty of space, which runs on ethernet (on my network).

I have SuperDuper.

Advice on how best to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Be sure you have a backup of all your data before attempting.
    Steps:
    1.) Download and install carbon copy cloner on both machines
    2.) Have a clean external drive ready that is able to partition into two partitions each larger then the amount of data on the respective computers.
    3.) Clone the data from each computers HD to the external drive being sure to give proper labels to each drive partition.
    4.) Boot each machine using the OSX discs and wipe the drive
    4a.) Swap the drives
    5.) Reboot using the external drive as the startup disc (hold the option key)
    6.) Launch Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the proper contents to the newly erased internal drive
    7.) Reboot and if necessary use the option key to select you internal drive as your boot volume.
    8.) Run disk utility to make sure everything went without a hitch.
    9.) Enjoy

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As you state you have SuperDuper, you don't need to download carbon copy cloner - they both do the same job.

4. sawxray thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome!

Thanks so much for the step-by-step!

Quick question-Step 4: Can I boot from the appropriate partition on the external HD, rather than the disk? Would that be faster?

Cheers!

5. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

True, I have never used SuperDuper so I did not want to explicitly recommend it.

Sure, you would just use disk utility in your user on the external HD.

Good Luck.