iPhone Exchange e-mail client

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by myname70, Oct 3, 2014.

1. myname70 macrumors 6502a

Guys , any experience (iOS 8 ) with the build-in email exchange client vs 3rd party Touchdown app? What is better for company MS exchange server ?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Built in email works just fine. What is it that you are looking for or might need from a client?

3. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Fortunately you're not limited to those two options. There are a ton of email clients that support ActiveSync. I use Acompli myself. It's free, has top-notch exchange support, and is just an all-around great app. I'm not a touchdown fan at all. It's one of those everything-but-the-kitchen-sink apps that supports a huge number of features you probably don't use but has an annoying and unintuitive interface. Worse, it doesn't support push notifications for new Mail, which is something lots of free or cheap exchange clients support just fine. For a $20 mail app, I consider this completely unacceptable.

Apple mail is OK, but it's a pretty basic client. The lack of tree threading (e.g., mixing sent and received mail to form conversations) is a deal breaker for me.

Boxer and CloudMagic are also worth checking out.

4. Menel, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I keep work mail isolated from personal.

TouchDown is popular.

But I use Mail+ by iKonic. It's very good, and a quarter of the price.
    With iOS8 there is a little bug that requires password every time it's launched, but they've recognized it on twitter and stated they are working on it asap.

For security reasons, you just need to make sure whoever developed the app, is an official licensee of the activesync protocol.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lega...sing/Programs/ExchangeActiveSyncProtocol.aspx

5. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you guys. My company email security policy requires to use a 5 - digit pin every time to open the mail. And again as per that policy - the phone should be locked every 5 sec. ... In this case - can I use Touch ID instead of email's 5 digit pin ? From email client I expect to be able to support HTML/Rich text mail format , HTML signature, search in the global exchange server's address book, to search in the email contents on the server, and of course - to have a push notification as soon as a new item is received . And to be able to save the attachments locally or on the cloud. :)

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

For Apple Mail you should be able to use Touch ID on your device instead of a PIN. My wife's office requires a 12-character password among other things. She's able to use Apple Mail and Touch ID in place of this password. For third-party clients I think it depends on whether they choose to support Touch ID or not.

I believe Apple Mail fulfils all your requirements. Searching the global address list is limited. When you go to type an email it will autofill from the global list, but that's pretty much the only access you have to it. You can't easily look up a contact and get all their details like you can in some clients.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Actually you can. You just need to open the contacts app and there you can search the global address list.