Exchange email on Sparrow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 3bs, Mar 22, 2012.

1. 3bs, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I want to add my college email to Sparrow but the IT department won't help me. I'm not sure what to add for the SMTP server and the port number.

2. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Two questions:
    1. Which version of Exchange Server does you college use?
    2. Is is setup to allow native access from the outside or is it restricted to outside access via the Outlook Web Access webmail client?

4. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

How do I check the version? I'm not sure how it's set up to be honest but I'm able to use the Mail.app on my Mac and I don't remember needing to put an SMTP server. Whenever I'm not on my own laptop using Mail.app I access it via the following screen. Can you tell the version from this?

Screen Shot 2012-03-25 at 02.59.15.png

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You'd have to verify whether SMTP access is available or not. It's not enabled for all Exchange environments. Does your college not have a site with this info?

I can't but that's OWA.

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Open up your Mail.app account settings. Even though you didn't have to enter any specific IMAP/SMTP settings, Mail.app new what to do and all your settings should be there.

There should. Be settings for incoming server as well as outgoing.

7. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

The IT department refused to help saying the college doesn't support use on 3rd part applications.

I tried doing that but it didn't work. The internal and external server are the same and when I put that into the SMTP server field it didn't work.

8. 3bs, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Anyone have any idea?

Edit: after reading a bit online I figured out that my college has to route it's mail through one of the ISP's servers so I googled and found a list of all the Irish ISP's servers and I tried 2 and the 2nd one worked! Can't believe it was this simple and I just needed to know what to look for. Oh and I'd just like to say that I really hate the IT department at my college.

Edit: so I can receive email but I can't send it. I get an error saying I have to put my password and when I go do it says unable to validate account. Unexpected error (MMErrorDomain/5)

9. Bobby.e macrumors 6502