Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a exchange email in Mac Mail (lion)

I have been able to set it up on my ipod touch and android device no problems at all.

The details I have been given are:

Email type: Microsoft Exchange
Server: webmail.mydomain.vic.edu.au
Domain: mydomain.vic.edu.au

HOWEVER when I tried to set it up (see photo- it didn't work) I also have no option to select it when I compose a new message.

Any ideas would be great. I am also downloading thunderbird and outlook trial to see if those programs are any better

Attachments

• img..jpg
    img..jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 80

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
My understanding is that Lion [Mail] only support Exchange 2010. SL supported 2007, or 2010.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Wtf..... Any other good email programs? Not Thunderbird or Outlook though

Not native support, no. Unless you can connect via IMAP. If you can, then use Mail. Or Sparrow; that's not too bad; but again IMAP.

Other than that, Outlook 2011 is your only other option.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a exchange email in Mac Mail (lion)

I have been able to set it up on my ipod touch and android device no problems at all.

The details I have been given are:

Email type: Microsoft Exchange
Server: webmail.mydomain.vic.edu.au
Domain: mydomain.vic.edu.au

HOWEVER when I tried to set it up (see photo- it didn't work) I also have no option to select it when I compose a new message.

Any ideas would be great. I am also downloading thunderbird and outlook trial to see if those programs are any better

Check here... There are a multitude of ways to access Exchange 2007. It just depends on what you are willing to live with. Cutting Outlook out of the possibilities is almost like saying you want to go to Tasmania by any other option than flying, and you live in the UK. I mean that you can take a cruise there, but no cruise line I know would want to take over a week one way to get there...

Outlook Web Access isn't that bad, if you have no other way to get the messages. You *can* use pop3...

Also check here, and half way down in this thread (6/20/2007) and see if it helps. There is a hot fix and a service pack that deals with accessing Exchange email from certain IMAP clients (read Apple Mail)... I did get it to work very well, and then we upgraded to Exchange 2010 here, and the need hasn't been there to get it working again, although I hear that it's easier in 2010...

I was also able to get Exchange 2007 to forward messages to an iPhone, however it gets *all* messages, which can get rather messy...

Last edited:

macman312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Check here... There are a multitude of ways to access Exchange 2007. It just depends on what you are willing to live with. Cutting Outlook out of the possibilities is almost like saying you want to go to Tasmania by any other option than flying, and you live in the UK. I mean that you can take a cruise there, but no cruise line I know would want to take over a week one way to get there...

Outlook Web Access isn't that bad, if you have no other way to get the messages. You *can* use pop3...

Also check here, and half way down in this thread (6/20/2007) and see if it helps. There is a hot fix and a service pack that deals with accessing Exchange email from certain IMAP clients (read Apple Mail)... I did get it to work very well, and then we upgraded to Exchange 2010 here, and the need hasn't been there to get it working again, although I hear that it's easier in 2010...

I was also able to get Exchange 2007 to forward messages to an iPhone, however it gets *all* messages, which can get rather messy...

Thanks Everyone for your replies!!
I should have been a bit more clear on the situation.... the email is my school email which I never check and teachers keep sending me information about upcoming tests etc and I want to have those emails downloading automatically like my icloud email. Outlook 2011 IS NOT a easy option for me as I bought the student version of office 2011 and I don't really like thunderbird that much but I am happy to try it I guess. I don't like outlook web access but if I really can't do it via my mac I will just have to get into a habit of checking it regularly

I have also downloaded sparrow which I will try. How would I use pop3 or IMAP for exchange email? I have attached a screen shot of going to options --> about to get various information that might help but I have blacked obviously my details and the server details for security reasons.

Attachments

• img.2.png
    img.2.png
    193.4 KB · Views: 79

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
My understanding is that Lion [Mail] only support Exchange 2010. SL supported 2007, or 2010.

Your understanding is wrong - Lion supports 2007 or 2010

OP - the exchange server you are connecting to has to have Exchange Web Services (EWS) enabled for OS X mail to connect (or Outlook 2011) as Exchange. To use POP3 or IMAP will also need those protocols enabling on the server

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Your understanding is wrong - Lion supports 2007 or 2010

OP - the exchange server you are connecting to has to have Exchange Web Services (EWS) enabled for OS X mail to connect (or Outlook 2011) as Exchange. To use POP3 or IMAP will also need those protocols enabling on the server

Thanks for the clarification; but you don't need to be an A$$HOLE about it.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I should have been a bit more clear on the situation.... the email is my school email which I never check and teachers keep sending me information about upcoming tests etc and I want to have those emails downloading automatically like my icloud email.

Just a suggestion since getting versions of software correct can be problematic when dealing with Exchange? Log into your school email via the web interface and set a forward your mail to a second email address that you can connect to with your client, like iCloud or better yet GMail.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I should have been a bit more clear on the situation.... the email is my school email which I never check and teachers keep sending me information about upcoming tests etc and I want to have those emails downloading automatically like my icloud email. Outlook 2011 IS NOT a easy option for me as I bought the student version of office 2011 and I don't really like thunderbird that much but I am happy to try it I guess. I don't like outlook web access but if I really can't do it via my mac I will just have to get into a habit of checking it regularly

I have also downloaded sparrow which I will try. How would I use pop3 or IMAP for exchange email? I have attached a screen shot of going to options --> about to get various information that might help but I have blacked obviously my details and the server details for security reasons.

Have you thought about setting up a rule that auto forwards your email from this account to another account that you do monitor? I believe that you can even stipulate, as part of the rule, the prepending if a phrase or some such to the subject in order to identify the message on the downwind email system. You may have to set up the rule using Outlook, although you can setup some rules using Outlook Web Access too... (Depending on the version of OWA and the patch level of the Exchange server)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How is Phil being one? Your understanding is wrong. Pointing that out does not make one. He didn't belittle you or call you names. He merely pointed out that you were wrong. What else would you call it? Pot, kettle.

Last edited:

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
How is Phil being one? Your understanding is wrong. Pointing that out does not make one. He didn't belittle you or call you names. He merely pointed out that you were wrong. What else would you call it? Pot, kettle.

There's a way to say it, and be polite. I never claimed it was fact. I said it was my understanding.

We see it differently obviously.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
There's a way to say it, and be polite. I never claimed it was fact. I said it was my understanding.

We see it differently obviously.

Perhaps, but I also don't think he was being impolite; you said you understood it to be one way and he said you are wrong and nicely explained why. Nothing in his post was rude or condescending, IMHO.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

It certainly wasn't my intention to be an ass and I apologise if you thought I was. The reason I said your understanding was wrong rather than you were wrong was (ironically) to avoid appearing as if I was insulting you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.