snfrd84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
Alright. Finally got a Mac again and a new iPhone. But ended up with the 12.

But, with the new set up, wondering if I should get an iPad later or just exchange the 12 for the PM for the bigger screen and battery.

Just wondering.

ericwn

macrumors G3
Apr 24, 2016
I like my iPads and wouldn’t be without one personally.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Do you really need a luggage size phone? Do you live on your phone? If not, consider keeping what you have and possibly complimenting (if need be) with an iPad for house and mobile use (at times).

In my opinion, luggage phones are overrated. I can do what I need to do on a phone with my iPhone mini. If I need to use a bigger screen, I take my iPad Pro 11" to work (at times) or use one of my Macs when I get home. The last thing I want to do is spend all my time using my phone.

Comment

1rottenapple

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2004
Luggage phones. That’s a new one. I agree my use case between xs max to 12 pro max to 12 mini hasn’t changed at all. The iPad Pro is a good compliment to the smaller iPhones.

Comment

snfrd84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
Right. I hear its a big phone. If nothing else, might exchange for the Pro model.

Comment

svish

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2017

But, with the new set up, wondering if I should get an iPad later or just exchange the 12 for the PM for the bigger screen and battery.

Just wondering.
Get an iPad. You get the best of both worlds. iPhone and iPad instead of having a bigger iPhone only. I use both extensively.

Reactions: snfrd84
Comment

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
Oklahoma
Nothing wrong with having more than one phone if you can afford it :) I'm seriously thinking about 'supplementing' my 12pm with a 12p. I love it but it is damn huge and hard to carry around sometimes. I have my SE2 for when I want something small small, but for every day use I'm really wanting something inbetween.

Comment

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Just wondering.
Always nice to have a larger screen phone even if you have an iPad. Absolutely enjoy my 11 Pro Max and iPad Pro 11” although I definitely use my iPhone a lot more.

The larger screen on the 12 Pro Max is glorious and very nice to have, as long as you can handle a Pro Max’s size and weight, both the 11 Pro Max and 12 Pro Max are pretty hefty devices, some of us love it while others hate the hefty feel, up to you, you must keep in mind the Pro Max models have stainless steel frames which are heavier and more rigid versus the lighter aluminum of normal iPhones like the 12 non Pro.

Comment

GeeMillz22

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
West Coast
12PM would provide more space and better battery, but the 0.6” difference isn’t game changing. I would lean towards trying out an iPad and seeing if it naturally fits into your digital life, so long as it’s within your budget.

I have an iPhone, iPad and Mac mini. Amazing combo. Desktop for heavy lifting. iPad for being mobile. Phone for primary communication and quick searches.

Comment

Amphib13

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
I love my 12pm. I don't think its too large at all. it still fits in my back pocket. I use it for navigation on my motorcycles and I really appreciate the larger screen and phenomenal battery.

My combo is an AW6, 12PM, M1 MBP, and the family's 24" IMac M1. For my use, there's really no holes in my equipment lineup. If money were no object, I'd love to get an iPad, but in my case it should be a toy....my occupation wouldn't benefit from what the iPad offers.

Comment

snfrd84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
Alright. Update.

I did exchange for the Pro Max. Really nice device. But, as most say, good bit heavier.

Part of me wants to feel satisfied or satiated. But, can say I am. One question. Is the Pro vs the regular 12, THAT much different? Except for the steel and Lidar and extra camera?

I've seen the extra zoom on the PM not look THAT great in videos.

But is the Lidar needed that much? Honestly think I should have kept the reg 12.

Comment

GeeMillz22

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
West Coast
12 Pro is not leaps and bounds better, but it is better:
- +2GB of RAM
- 3rd camera lens
- Higher usable brightness
- 4K 60fps Dolby if you’re into that
- Lidar
- Night mode portrait
- 512GB storage option
- 10x digital zoom
- (Subjective) SS bands and frosted back
- (Subjective) Any storage option over 64 puts you at ”just” $120 delta
- Allegedly lasts a little bit longer than the 12 even with same mAh (I’ve seen cases for both)

Lidar does make for a noticeable improvement in autofocus. The excitement was for AR, but that has yet to truly unfold.

Reactions: secretk and snfrd84
Comment

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I’ve been thinking of getting the pro max , currently have the 12 mini, but the battery is pretty dismal on it even with light use, trying to see if I can stretch it till the 13 comes out

Comment

snfrd84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
For me, up to the 12 or Pro. Lots of good info.
12 Pro is not leaps and bounds better, but it is better:
- +2GB of RAM
- 3rd camera lens
- Higher usable brightness
- 4K 60fps Dolby if you’re into that
- Lidar
- Night mode portrait
- 512GB storage option
- 10x digital zoom
- (Subjective) SS bands and frosted back
- (Subjective) Any storage option over 64 puts you at ”just” $120 delta
- Allegedly lasts a little bit longer than the 12 even with same mAh (I’ve seen cases for both)

Lidar does make for a noticeable improvement in autofocus. The excitement was for AR, but that has yet to truly unfold.

Comment

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Don’t believe the too big too heavy brigade, i went from a 12 to a 12 pro max, best iPhone i have had, and have had them all except the overpriced mini.
You don’t have to, they have their own preferences which don’t apply to you, you get what you want and be happy with it.

Like I said before, the Pro and Pro Max models are simply not for everyone much like iOS is not for everyone.

It’s fantastic that we have all these choices. I have seen people go from Pro Max to Mini and Vice versa with varying results for their own lifestyles.

Comment

snfrd84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
Either way, seems Im stuck with the PM. No idea VZW had a policy of only one exchange during a 30 day period.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.