Exchange for the new smaller MBP brick

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tsl90, Jul 22, 2007.

  1. tsl90 macrumors member

    Jun 13, 2007
    I've had my MBP for 2wk. I got a second brick for traveling. Fortunately I haven't even opened the box. I saw the new smaller brick and figured I should be able to return the big one and get the smaller one. I ordered everything from apple on line.

    Can I take my big brick to the apple store and exchange it for the small one?

    Do the stores have the new one in stock?


  2. MacPossum macrumors 6502


    Jul 15, 2007
    I'd say it's very doubtful that you would be able to simply exchange the MagSafe but if your old one every happens to be damaged you'd probably get a new smaller one as a replacement from Apple.
  3. polycat33 macrumors 6502

    Jul 1, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    I don't see why they wouldn't have a problem with exchanging it. It's not open, and the other is the same price, isn't it? I mean, if they do have an issue with it, all you do is return that one for a refund and buy the new one. The only problem is that they probably aren't in stock in the stores yet. If there's a time limit on the exchange just return it and place an order for the new one online so it ships when they're available.

    I'm hoping my replacement magsafe comes as the smaller one - I called in for a replacement two weeks ago and haven't gotten anything yet, hoping they're waiting for stock of the small ones. Or that they forgot and I can call back in a couple weeks and say "I've been waiting a month! Where is it!?" And get the small one.
  4. absoluttl macrumors newbie

    Jun 30, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    i would wait since i am sure Apple would be more than happy to send you the "old brick" ... another way to help them clear out the current inventory. Don't you think so? :)

    I had my SR MBP for about 2 wks now, and I am trying hard to adjust to the bulky adaptor... well... i am happy, the machine is perfect (no yellow tint nor kernel panics). However, did i mention that this is my 2nd SR MBP? :rolleyes: superdrive problem for the 1st one and the apple product specialist was giving me a hard time over the phone and not wanted to authorize a RMA. I ended up taking the machine back to the place i purchased from and they exchanged me a new one.

Share This Page