Exchange from 8GB to 16GB white?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wowotoe, Jul 13, 2008.

1. wowotoe macrumors member

Now I kind of want to get the 16GB white. Is it possible to go into Apple store and exchange 8GB to 16GB? On my receipt, there is a line that says "Return Date: Jul 26, 2008"

2. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

Probably, expect a small restocking fee however.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

If the seal is open then its a 10% fee.

4. GutBomb macrumors regular

plus $100 for the price difference of the phone, but i think you probably already knew that.

5. zakurie macrumors newbie

No Restocking Fee

There is NOT a restocking fee! I exchanged my iPhone yesterday (16GB black for white) and called 4 stores before I went to exchange - all stores said there is NOT a restocking fee. And when I exchanged it, it was an even trade for me.

6. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

The manager at the AT&T store I got my 8gig at said there would be a 10% restocking fee, plus the difference of corse, as long as it was within 30 days of the original purchase. I'm thinking I'll get the white one here pretty soon.

7. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

What made you change your mind by the way? Im just curious. Was it just space or did you want the white one? If there was an 8GB White one would buy it? How is the black compared to the white?
    I'm just deciding on if i want black or white.

Good Luck by the way

8. wowotoe thread starter macrumors member

I want the white one because the black back attracts lint or small dust. The white one probably attracts lots of dust too but is harder to tell.

and the chicks dig the white iphone users :D

The extra $100 is comparable to a tank of gas. Except that extra 8GB will last forever.

Or my other option is to get a white silicone cover when they are available. But that might destroy the beauty of the design.

9. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Haha very true.
    Yea im still deciding i need to go to the apple store to see it for myself before i really make up my mind. But yea i have a silicone black case from my first iPhone and i think it'll fit this so if its white it will still look black so idk. black or white, black or white...? This is probably one of my hardest apple decisions... :-(

10. james948 macrumors 6502

I too am thinking of exchanging for a white now. I'll go to the 5th avenue store but will I have to make an appointment at the genius bar or will they just let me exchange then and there?

11. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

If I exchanged an 8gb Black for a 16gb White would I need to be able to update the AppleCare currently on my 8gb Black or would I need to cancel then buy new AppleCare?

12. iPaul macrumors regular

There is NOT a restocking fee at Apple, but I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T were evil enough to charge it. Because you are required to open the box in the store for activation and do not have the option of leaving the packaging intact, the Apple Store will not charge you the restocking fee to exchange the phone.

13. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I just looked at images of the black iPhone and it looks great, but I thought the white looked better. I don't know which to get now :( lol. I think I might end up with white, it really is a tough decision.

14. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

Paul... you are DEAD wrong... I just spent last week aruging the restocking fee over my Macbook Pro! If you look at the receipt the Restocking fee is already calculated! So, get your facts straight!

Secondly heres my 2C on the White vs Black! I got a Black 16GB and the second I walked out I wanted White but I realize now the only reason I wanted white was because it was more unique! Black looks more professional! White is flair... Just my 2C

15. iPaul macrumors regular

I am not wrong, I am just talking about the iPhone. Yes, Apple usually has a restocking fee on opened products. There is NOT a restocking fee on the iPhone, however. They are not charging the usual restocking fee because you do not have a choice in opening the phone. They force you to open the packaging in the store, so if you need to exchange it they will not charge you for something you didn't have a choice in doing because of their activation policy.

16. aubreyjane macrumors newbie

But what if you purchased the phone at an AT&T store...do you have to go back to AT&T to exchange it? TIA!

17. iPaul macrumors regular

Yes.

18. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Haha it's funny how things work out. I have a 16GB White iPhone and for some weird reason despite all the claims of smudges/scratches the black iPhone gets, I want one?

It's really weird--I went to the Apple store to see if they had any 3G docks and I just walked around and looked at a black iPhone. Damn....that dark color makes it look evil and professional. I got me, I like the darkness of it.

I really want a black one now. I bought my white iPhone at launch and have the receipt and all--would I pay that ridiculous restocking fee?

Is there ANYONE here that has a confirmed exchange from an Apple store? (ie: actually got it exchanged with no additional charge)

edit: I still want a 16GB version of the black iPhone, so maybe it would be easier.

19. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

20. Ferris23 macrumors 68020