Exchange Gmail in Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uplusd, Oct 1, 2009.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

With the addition of exchange activesync to Gmail for iPhone push e-mail, is it possible to similarly setup Gmail as an exchange in Mail.app?

I am not an Exchange guru, but it would seem logical that you could use the same server settings for Mail.app. I'm not sure how to manually add an exchange server instead of using the auto-discover though.

Any ideas?

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

3. seenastyle macrumors newbie

rKunda,

Without offense, I believe that user uplusd is already aware of the IMAP method, as it is very common, and since gmail provides a tutorial directed to it's configuration. He is most likely aware that IMAP works, although it doesn't work "great," since there are some wrinkles if you are very particular about every detail of your email service. I don't think he's asking "what method do you suggest I use."

The question, the answer to which I myself am also interested in, is whether Gmail can work with Exchange in Mail, and if so, how. As Exchange capability is relatively new, this is an interesting question, even if IMAP works great or even if it work better.

Thanks

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It doesn't work... I tried this using the same settings as for my iPod touch. It showed up with an error. IMAP sucks because every time I make a note, it puts like 1000 copies in my Gmail inbox. I stuck to POP because IMAP is just terrible.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

IMAP has been working great for me. POP was just the opposite. I am wondering if you have a check in box that would eliminate the 1000 copies. I have yet to have this happen and I have a sh*t load of notes.

6. shadowswan macrumors newbie

This is the same issue I am having, I'm no Exchange guru but by looking around it seems Google uses a technology called 'activesync' whereas Apple with Mail and SL use something called 'Exchange Web Services' or EWS - this is not true exchange access hence the lack of push. I can see why MS would do this mind... What I'm trying to find is some sort of plugin that can poll the activesync server and update Mail iCal and Address Book - or wait for Google to enable EWS, something which is not going to happen as they want you to use their own apps... very frustrating, may not be time to give up the mail2web account just yet... :mad:

7. iSlanderous macrumors regular

Imap does work but I thought I heard something about exchange integration in snow leopard, google can be setup as exchange so I assume the Mac mail app should work somehow right?

8. rckstwrz macrumors member

rckstwrz

Has any of this changed lately? I've found Google's IMAP to be a bit wonky and would like to set it up via Exchange.

9. bfdill macrumors newbie

10. mikeoertli macrumors newbie

You can eliminate the issues with duplicate (or 1000) drafts and notes by using the Google Recommended Settings. Works great for me. Best of luck.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892#

11. jbouklas macrumors regular

I tried to set up Gmail through its exchange settings on Mail on Snow Leopard and didn't work, haven't tried it in Lion, though.

Anyway, when I setup Gmail in Lion using the standard settings, I noticed that there's a checkbox referring to IDLE support. Unless I'm mistaken, and if the Gmail IMAP implementation supports this, IDLE is the IMAP-equivalent of push. Since Lion already integrated my calendar and contacts with Gmail, and Mail supports push IMAP, I don't really see the need for full Gmail exchange support through ActiveSync.

12. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

I have the IDLE checkbox ticked but it doesn't seem to appear to be a true 'push' solution since I can read/reply to Gmail using Chrome but it doesn't push the read status down to my Mail program.

13. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

As is noted in other threads on the same subject, Mail.app doesn't do a great job of keeping current with Gmail mailboxes.

"Postbox" has been my solution. Not sure about Lion compatibility.

14. jbouklas macrumors regular

I just checked out Postbox in the App store, it looks pretty awesome. For the record, I don't have an issue with GMail and Mail.app- it works pretty well.

15. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The problem with Mail for me (and others) was when I was sitting at my computer and an email would come in on the phone, it was nowhere to be seen in Mail. A quit and restart of Mail might bring it up. Postbox doesn't have that problem.

16. motherduce macrumors 6502

17. Mr M5 macrumors regular

Interesting, because I have no problems with Gmail, but tons of problems with my work exchange saving 1000 drafts as I type out emails.