Exchange Gmail message deleting

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bigjnyc, Apr 15, 2010.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Hey guys so I decided to try Gmail set up as an exchange account (it was really buggy before) seems to be working fine now. But I have one question; When I delete messages do they get archived or do they get sent to trash? there's no option to specify this in settings as there is with the IMAP setup.

2. Dan14 macrumors regular

They get sent to the trash on the server and on the iPhone itself. Same with sent messages.

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Ok I had this weird thing happen, where I deleted a bunch of messages on my iphone then when checking my account on the Mail app on my computer all those messages popped in the ALL MAIL folder. I didn't get a chance to look at gmail on the web though.

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

dan14 is wrong

when you click delete on the iphone mail app the message is archived on gmails servers (how it is supposed to work)

from the google sync website:
    * Actions in Gmail
    When using Google Sync, certain actions in Gmail may have different behavior than you're used to. For instance, if you "delete" a message from your Inbox, this will actually archive the message. Check out our complete list of how actions taken on your device will affect your Gmail interface.

list of actions in gmail through sync

5. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Thanks androiphone... well that really sucks so we have to delete the message from inbox and then also delete it from all mail in order for it to end up in the trash. wow :confused: you would think they would give you the option of inbox to trash directly.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Personally I like it this way. I get the whole privacy thing but this day and age, 'deleting' isn't deleting anymore.

From Gmail about: