Exchange Gmail push preserved with IOS7 install, what about clean install?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jqc, Sep 18, 2013.

1. jqc macrumors regular

Hi, when google decided to end exchange support for gmail accounts on IOS, they allowed legacy users to keep their exchange setup and preserve the push functionality (as opposed to fetch with IMAP).

My understanding was that once you upgraded to a new phone or new IOS, you would lose this grandfathered feature. I upgraded to the last IOS 7 beta, with no clean install, and to my surprised gmail continued to be exchange and I continued to get push service.

I'd like to clean install but am afraid that will result in the loss of exchange/push, has anyone done a clean install and had this feature preserved?

2. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Why use Gmail when iCloud has retained the same functionality for everyone?

3. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

pretty sure a clean install will make you loose the push.

4. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

Try not answer a question with a question. It's none of you business as to why anyway.

5. WJKramer macrumors 6502

I clean installed the GM and did not restore from backup. Push Gmail still works fine...Exchange is device hardware specific not software.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

To be precise, the iPhone uses the device's serial number to identify itself to Exchange ActiveSync.

As such, the only scenario in which you should lost Exchange support for Google accounts is if you get a different device.

7. Mengels7 macrumors regular

You positive on that? When I first clean-installed iOS 7 beta 1, I lost my exchange support for my 2 Google accounts that previously had it. After restoring from my iOS 6 backup, the exchange support worked again.

8. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

There's nothing wrong with asking a question when you're trying to help someone. Genuinely I'm wondering why the thread starter would waste time trying to keep a feature he's going to lose eventually anyway, when Apple continues to give the same feature away to everyone that uses iCloud. I always think it's best to deal with a problem now than put off the pain to a later date. Because usually the problem and/or challenges involved get progressively worse over time.

9. WJKramer macrumors 6502

Possibly a bug in the first beta. I have been running every beta since 3 and it's always worked just fine.

10. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

He'll not loose the push untill he change an iOS device.

11. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Apple experimented with using a new identifier in betas 1 and 2. But it reverted back to using the serial number in beta 3+. You will be fine even if you do a clean restore.

12. jqc thread starter macrumors regular

This is what Im afraid of!

----------

For the same reason i wouldnt change my phone number if i switched providers, because all my friends, family and contacts already have and know a certain email address. Sending out new contact details to people is a huge PIA. Make sense now?

13. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Maybe the OP doesn't want to change his email address everywhere?

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can set up forwarding fairly easily and the ability to send from a different account using the same Gmail address can be used too.

15. jqc thread starter macrumors regular

do you have a link to instructions for this? thanks

16. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

that actually makes sense for my specific situation. Lost it when i bought an ipad mini...still have it on my old iphone 4...

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Set up forwarding in Gmail settings (on the website) and then you can setup Gmail on the phone just to use it to send (and not receive), so the address doesn't change for anyone.

18. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Every time you reply to an email, you have to manually switch your "reply from" from your iCloud address to your Gmail address. Otherwise, you will be replying emails from your iCloud address, which causes confusion for some people.

19. jqc thread starter macrumors regular

yes, not the ideal solution, but one im used to given multiple accounts i currently have...the other "workaround" i can think of is using gmail app to get the push notification, then you know to go into mail app to receive an email. may be cleaner that way

20. Mengels7 macrumors regular

Explains why I was able to get it to work when I restored to beta 3 or 4 without using a backup. Thanks for the info.

21. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

This