Exchange Google on iPhone. What do you use in Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RichardF, Nov 1, 2011.

1. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Up to now, I used iTunes to "set-up" my email accounts on the iPhone and iPad.

With either device plugged-in, I would select what email accounts to sync and they'd be set-up in iOS like I have them set-up in Mail (IMAP).

However today, I Googled instant push for a Gmail accounts and now that I have all my Gmail accounts set-up via Exchange on my iPhone (push à la Blackberry works!), what do I do in Mail?

I was getting instant push in Mail with IMAP but wasn't in iOS.
    In iOS it took setting up the Gmail accounts with Exchange.

For the ones of you who use Exchange in iOS, how do you guys have your Gmail accounts set-up in Mail?
    Do you not sync email accounts via iTunes? That's really just useful the first time you set-up a iOS device and if you have a bunch of email accounts. It saves you the typing. But beyond that, what's the point of syncing emails accounts in iTunes?

Thank you in advance.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I've never sync'd email accounts in iTunes as I've always used Gmail and didn't mind entering in the accounts details manually (only 2 or 3 accounts).

As for what I use in OS X, since I primarly use Gmail, I just access it via a browser; I don't use the Mail.app.

3. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

I won't be doing it either from now on. Unless until Apple makes it possible to set-up the accounts as Exchange accounts in iOS during the Sync or something along those lines.

Why is IMAP instant push in Mac OS X but not iOS (it takes Exchange for it to be instant push)?

I got a notification email from MacRumors with your reply instantly on the iPhone. Love it.

4. murdoc158 macrumors regular

5. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Yes IMAP has been enabled all along.
    Gmail push works in Mail but didn't in iOS. I had just synced the email accounts in Mail with iOS via iTunes. So they were also set-up as IMAP accounts in iOS but emails were not being pushed until I set the Gmail account using Exchange in iOS.