Exchange help: how to sync local folders across devices

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soisynoid, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Soisynoid macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I could really use some guidance with an email management issue that has been vexing me. I have two work Exchange accounts, that are on two different exchange servers. I need to check both emails at all times, but both accounts have pretty slim and inflexible space allotments. Because I need to be able to access my emails from both my work desktop and my laptop (especially when traveling), I have been keeping all of my saved messages in the inbox. I am fed up of hitting against the quota. Some have suggested that I start using On My Mac folders to archive the emails I need to save so that they're not eating up server space. However if I do that, I'm assuming that I will only be able to access those archived emails from the device on which they're archived.

I am assuming that this is a relatively common issue. Has anyone found any solutions to this? Thanks so much in advance!

2. Soisynoid thread starter macrumors newbie

I should add that that I'm currently using Mac Mail on all devices, which are running El Capitan. Happy to consider other email apps, such as Outlook. Thanks!

3. Soisynoid thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Don't you have a manager whose job it is to sort out that kind of work-impacting issue?

I use Airmail across multiple devices but I don't think that will do what you want.

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

Don't bump - it's not permitted, per the Forum Rules. Also, this isn't about a Mac app - you'd get more attention by moving this to the Windows-related forum.

I run a small company and deal with that issue often, the "I need access to everything all the time syndrome". I'm not going to spell it out for you - talk to your IT person about setting up an "archive mailbox", they're designed for storing communications, reducing a network's I/O load, and maintaining some easy access to communications.

Archiving is a premium feature in Exchange Server 2013/6 - you’ll need Enterprise Client Access Licenses for this feature. You either need to pay up for a CAL, or offload some of the data - either way, it'll ease the burden on the Server and network - and there really aren't any alternatives beyond those two options AFAIK.

And, it's not just you. Exchange Servers have mailbox size restrictions built into them, the software's been designed that way - even the Office 365 Enterprise options have 50GB per mailbox limitations.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

One thing you could do and will definitely work on your Macs is to add a third account to them. If you had an empty Gmail account on there, you'd have 15GB of IMAP space that will sync between devices. Create the "overflow" folders in the Gmail account and move emails from the Exchange accounts to those folders. They'll upload to the Gmail servers and show up on both computers.

Gmail is just one of several free options but I'm not sure the others can beat the 15GB limit.