Exchange in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacGeek1994, Aug 8, 2009.

1. MacGeek1994 macrumors newbie

Apple says that you will be able to use an Exchange Server out of the box with Snow Leopard. Does anyone know if it will work with Exchange 2003? That is what my company uses and we don't want to buy a new server to upgrade to 2007 or next year to 2010. I would think that the only protocol differences would be the auto-discover and most IT Guru people can enter it manually.

Find it funny that Apple makes Exchange work out of the box and Windows you have to install Office

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Technically I think part of the requirements are Exchange Server 2007, but I'm not sure if anyone has found a way to circumvent that requirement. We'll have to wait until Snow Leopard's officially released.

3. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Personally, I think it would be absolutely ridiculous for Apple to make it work with Exchange Server 2007 and not 3003. Most companies in the U.S. still use 2003 because they don't want to pay the money or interrupt daily business practice to upgrade to 2007.

I'm praying that Snow Leopard will FINALLY allow me to connect with my company's Exchange server (2003). If it only works with 2007 then Apple really **** the bed in failing to take account what I mentioned above.

4. MacGeek1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am hoping so too. I use OWA when I am on a computer, iPhone ActiveSync when I am out of the office, Outlook 03 in the office, & Entourage 2008 because Apple Address & Calendar don't support Exchange.

They would probably get so many complains from like the Department of Defense or NCIS because they have Mac computers (& Xserves) and they still use Exchange 2003 because Microsoft had a dumb idea to change from 32-bit to 64-bit making it more expensive to change.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If you can get me a test account, I can see if 2003 will work on my Snow Leopard, but I don't have an Exchange 2003 account to test it on.

Edit: That won't be necessary, although could be worth a try. I found this in Address Book though:

[​IMG]

6. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

If Mail doesn't support 2003, I will seriously throw a conniption fit of unparalleled magnitude. I so hate Entourage, with all of my heart and soul. I will rejoice the day that I'm able to AppZap that POS. Please please please...

7. dyn macrumors 68030

Check out the Snow Leopard tech specs page on the Apple site:

Aka no 2003 support.

8. larkost macrumors 6502a

The reason is that 10.6 will not support MAPI (Microsoft's proprietary... mostly undocumented messaging protocol), but rather will go through the ActiveSync connection. Microsoft has made this route a lot more functional in Exchange 2007, so that is what Apple is supporting.

Microsoft has been very protective about MAPI, because Exchange is one of the ways that Microsoft keeps it's business (really lucrative) customer's.

9. tha5150 macrumors member

just got the new SL installed and hoped that exchange 2003 would work. i guess there still isnt a work around yet? no support from anywhere? this really does suck.

10. adr1974 macrumors regular

Anyone having problems on 10A432 transferring emails between folders on an exchange account?

11. tha5150 macrumors member

wish i could help ya but i can only use my @me account and @aim account. no work 2003 email.

maybe someone else will chime in. i am assuming you are using exchange 2007?

12. adr1974 macrumors regular

I am. The account loads fine (all folders, contacts, calendars, etc). I can delete from the inbox and from the trash folders...but when I try to move a file from one folder to another, I get a generic message which simply states, "The message cannot be moved to the folder xx". I know previous seeds had problems with this, but I was under the impression it had been resolved.