exchange iPad 2 at Genius Bar without un-jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPad' started by citivolus, Jul 9, 2012.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

My refurb iPad 2 has been acting up where the home button is flaky. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes not at all. I want to get it exchanged under warranty but don't want to go through the effort of un-jailbreaking, deleting all my data, etc. just to bring it to the Genius appointment and have it behave fine such that they don't exchange it.

Does anyone have experience with demonstrating an issue with their iPad to a Genius on a jailbroken device?

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

they most likely won't replace unless you restore. jail breaking technically voids the warranty. soooo unjailbrek first.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

They may then not want to go through the effort of honoring your warranty.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hope you dont strain anything going through all the effort of restoring your device. (4 clicks, 1 to open itunes, two slecting your device, three selcting restore, 4 confirming restore)

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Maybe your home button doesn't like your jailbreak.

6. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

do you also have a time machine that will also get me back the hour+ it will take to restore my device, re-jailbreak, re-load all my packages from Cydia, etc? if you don't have anything to post relating to my original question, go crap on another thread.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Here is why Apple says.

8. BFizzzle, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

an hour? damn an hour?? what do you download you firmware with 56k?
    so you were hoping to be able to just turn it in without restoring it and having them give you a new one, while rejailbreaking it and syncing your apps/ cydia packages?? lol

either way someone has to do all that, whether it be you or the apple store (even though they cant/wont) that "hour" is lost either way bud.

you said effort,
    ef·fort noun \ˈe-fərt, -ˌfȯrt\
    Definition of EFFORT

: conscious exertion of power : hard work

just was implying its not any effort as you stated.

you are right though i shouldnt have crapped on you. its just hard not sometimes. forgive me.

9. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had hoped that the Genius would simply acknowledge the hardware issue at the Genius Bar, at which point I would click "Erase all settings and content" and let the iPad do its thing. Perhaps the only issue is that doing so wouldn't unjailbreak the device. I simply wanted to save the effort in case the iPad doesn't exhibit the hardware issue at that time. Not hard to understand.

10. bri1212 macrumors 6502

They could do this, they could also notify apple care that your warranty has been voided, after they refuse your exchange. You take the chance, when all you might have to do is waste an hour ( really, an hour?) and not have any question on this. The choice is yours.