Exchange Ipad Wifi for 3G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by codefinder, Mar 30, 2011.

1. codefinder macrumors newbie

codefinder

hey everyone,

I'm located in Canada. I had ordered a 3G ipad online and delivery was scheduled for April 29. I hate waiting. So I managed to snag a 32GB wifi version at my local apple store. I love the device so far, but there are times when I just need internet access while away from home. I heard there were fewer 3G models then the wifi, is this true. I'm hoping my local apple store will get a 3G model so I can reserve it and exchange.

Anyone else wishing they bought the 3G?

2. Kaulitz macrumors member

I bought the 32gb wifi only iPad 2 on launch day. This morning I changed my mind I missed not having GPS rather than 3G since I could use the personal hotspot feature.
    I booked an appointment for this afternoon at the Apple store in Solihull,I did have quite bad backlight bleeding so i was going to use that as leverage to swap iPads. The Apple staff was very helpful and took my opened and used ipad and swapped it for a sealed 16Gb 3G model plus the £20 difference.
    I was very fortunate since they had none in stock for sale to the general public, just a few units for replacements.
    Give it a try if you really do regret buying the wifi only model, remember if you get the 3G model and want to swap back to the wifi only they will allow it since you have 14 days on the replacement to change your mind.

3. swy05 macrumors 6502

4. Kaulitz macrumors member

C'est la vie :rolleyes:

5. AlkFoo macrumors member

Got a 16GB wifi only... For what I plan to use it for, I think it's perfect. I do understand the need sometimes to have a connection (3G) and wifi isn't always dependable everywhere you go.

My usage will be mostly be at home or on vacations... my plan is to switch to a Data Pro plan with my next iPhone purchase... get "hotspots" and 4GB's of data... this will work for me when I'm on the road. But for somebody who may take their iPad everywhere and always want a connection this might not be the way and a 3G + wifi model might be necessary.

6. goMac macrumors 603

Yeah, I wish people would just buy the model they want, and wait patiently.

Seriously, there are people trying to get their hands on Wifi models, and they can't because people who want 3Gs are buying them up for temporary usage. (And the best part is people who are can't get Wifis are buying 3Gs, so nobody gets what they want!)

It sounds like the OP had every intention of keeping their Wifi, so I guess this post is more aimed at some others here, but seriously, stop buying the model you don't want just so you can use it temporarily.

Just learn some patience, people.

7. codefinder thread starter macrumors newbie

codefinder

Yeah alot of scalpers in my city selling the 3G model for 1100. I seen about 30 posts today on a classified site. I had every intention to buy the wifi, just sometimes I wish I had a 3G for email and business use.

The 3G plans are getting better here in Canada too, no unlimited though. Right now its 40 dollars for 5GB, it use to be 2GB.

8. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

So you wanted a 3G and ordered it, but went ahead and bought a WiFi just because it was the only one they had, but you're unhappy with it because you need the 3G? Basically, you rented an iPad then?

I'd recommend returning it, getting a refund and buying a 3G. Tbh, you should have seen this coming.

9. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

I'll always use wifi iPads. Firstly, I hate the black plastic strip, but most importantly of all I have an iPhone 4 - hotspot allows me to use my iPad everywhere (like now). Why pay two contracts and have a crappy black plastic strip cutout all for a gps chip you'll use once a year perhaps when away from from your iPhone? I am generalising of course - the 3G models are ideal for anyone without a hotspot capable smartphone. Everyone is in a different situation I guess, but I'd be daft to buy a 3G model in mine.

10. marvlaw macrumors member

If there is a better forum that I could post this on, please let me know:

I have a 1st generation 32GB 3G and love it. Initially I felt there was nothing in the iPad 2 that I really needed. Yesterday I won an iPad 2 32GB wifi (super excited, I never win anything). I love having the 3G option and don't want to give it up. Would Apple exchange my sealed wifi for a 3G and I pay the $130? I would appreciate any advice

Thanks!

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

Best bet is to go to an Apple store and ask them.

Also, I could be mistaken but I heard you can exchange things at Walmart without a receipt. So you might be able to do it there.