Exchange MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vazelos, Aug 13, 2011.

1. vazelos macrumors member

Hey guys, I bought a MBA 13" 128GB on Thursday. I downplayed as much as I could the 128GB space and assured myself that it's primary use was for schoolwork, to have a reliable, quick and light machine. After using it for a few days, transferring my purchased TV shows, downloading some apps and such, I feel perhaps I made a mistake and should've went with the 256 GB. At the time of purchase, I felt that $300 extra for 128GB more is not worth it, I still feel that way, but feel it's necessary to have the extra space. Even though I won't be downloading much on this machine, definitely not any serious games, I`m not into gaming, I do like to occasionally have a few songs/movies/tv shows on it when I`m bored, in between studying - - during breaks. I also want to put all my pictures on this notebook and some of the videos I took from my digital camera, so I can take full advantage of the software. This is my first and only Mac so I really want to get use out if it. I do love the MBA, it's unbelievably quick compared to my vaio, and is very light and awesome to type on.

What should I do about the low 128GB space provided, I am considering exchanging and just paying the extra $300, I looked into perhaps purchasing SD Cards of high capacity or usb flash drives, but I can't rule out purchasing a 13" MBP.. My only issue with that is, that we're so close to a new one coming out (couple of weeks away, I believe?).

So please chime in, what do you think I should do ;).

Also, I purchased it at a retail store, does Apple allow exchanges do different models and I pay the difference? I paid in cash, so I think this may have some downside?

2. sleepie macrumors newbie

well you can just download streamtome in the app store for your movies. and download the server "servetome" to your other desktop or laptop that stays at home. you can watch the movies wherever you are as long as you have access to internet.

heres the URL:http://projectswithlove.com/streamtome/

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No one ever complained about having too much storage space, but I read threads like this one all the time. You can return your Air if you are not satisfied with it. That includes not being satisfied with the storage space. For this kind of money get what you want. :apple:

4. vazelos thread starter macrumors member

That's really cool, I didn't know something like that existed, thanks I`ll look into that.

-Also, is there any issue with exchanging? Since I paid cash, do they have to mail me the check? Or can I just pay the difference?

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

6. vazelos thread starter macrumors member

Alright, hopefully you are correct :).. So that's one of my questions resolved :)

Anyone see purchasing a high capacity SD Card or USB Flash drive as a viable option?
    Is there any truth to my statement that a new Pro will be released next month?

Is 256GB or rather a jump from 128GB to an extra 128GB, worth $300, in your opinion.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes.

8. vazelos thread starter macrumors member

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yeah, I think this whole cloud thing is going to be huge. I'd say hold off until this iCloud thing gets online.

I don't know though. :eek:

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

What about a comparatively cheap 500GB+ USB external hard drive for things like photos and TV shows?

11. vazelos thread starter macrumors member

I know I hear that.. but it`ll prob be released sometime sept/oct? I have 12 days left to bring it back and upgrade to the 256 GB

----------

Yea that's a good point, I should def look into that, any you recommend that are portable and decently priced? I have one I bought a year or 2 ago but it's kind of big and requires an outlet to be powered, as well as the usb connection to the computer, and it's full, so I can't really use that one with the MBA.

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

Another (future, pie sky) is Thunderbolt. Which (if ever) could make an external drive as fast as the internal drive.

That, along with iCloud, perhaps makes the need to return it less.
    (I hate that nagging deadline return thing myself :D)

13. Formula1freak macrumors member

Formula1freak

You could get this 1.0TB 2.5 inch laptop hard drive for $109 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-136-545 ) then get an external Laptop HD enclose for $9 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-392-032 ) :)

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

1tb western digital my passport for about 100 dollars. i have a few of them (multiple backups of important data).

sugarsync. you can stream music. you can backup files there. other features as well.

iPad. Gives you more storage space for stuff and another gadget.

iPod. Same thing.

iPhone. Same thing.

Evernote. *CUMULATIVE* 1 GB monthly uploads. At the end of the year you'll have 12 GB of stuff in it. At the end of 5 you'll have 60GB.

15. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

I just swapped my 128 for 256, today, as 128gb is not enough for all the reasons you mentioned.

I too did not want to pay £250 extra (i payed £360 as i went for 1,8Ghz) but i thought F-it and now i can forget about my laptop needs for a 2-4 years....

On the upside i sold my MBP for £750 so overall this cost me £600 to upgrade to MBA Ultimate. Now it will come with me everywhere! :)

You might as well just bite the bullet. I know i didn't want to be thinking about file management every day.

16. OxfordMBA macrumors newbie

I bought the 128GB as I was coming from a 160GB windows machine of which I had only used 120GB. Like the OP I feel that might have been hasty, although I do feel that had I bought the 256GB I would fill that quickly regardless with itunes content ....
    I'm also waiting for a reliable cloud system I can use ...

I've decided to use a USB external harddisk for a Timemachine backup and large file storage. I also read this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206894 for information on a lovely way to add more ram.

Or maybe this is the hint that I should make space and delete all my terrible music from iTunes, especially the 80's items .. :D

17. thats nice macrumors member

do you think 256 will be enough space? If so, pay the extra $300 and happy computing!

If not, you should really just get a 1TB 2.5" external drive for $100~

They're quite small (WD passport are anyway) and they'll play movies/music fine without any problems.

Then you can keep all your 'daily' info/things on the 128GB SSD.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Shouldn't iCloud be able to store all your iTunes stuff when it comes out?

19. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I returned my 11 with 128 and got the 11 Ultimate with i7 and 256. I didn't really need the i7 but it was all the retail-location Apple Store carried.

Anyway, it was worth it. I am using the space and it helps me get my job done. I run OSX, Windows 7 and Windows XP (XP Mode inside Win7 bootcamp) plus a lot of misc software. I actually got it to work on the 128, but I had like 9 GB available and I was worried about future upgrades & updates. So it was definitely worth it for me. The i7 has also been a good CPU, but I do notice a decrease in battery time compared to the i5. (maybe 30-60 min depending on what I'm doing.)

So... yes, get the 256.

20. vazelos thread starter macrumors member

what was the price difference, what did you pay to upgrade to 256 + i7?

21. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Get the 256GB SSD or shop elsewhere and get an even bigger and more expensive SSD.

Or hook up an expensive Thunderbolt external drive or a slower USB 2.0 ext drive.