Exchange - Mail Delivery Delay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rfmurphy81, Jul 24, 2008.

1. rfmurphy81 macrumors newbie

I've recently set up work e-mail via the Exchange set up. I've noticed that the push service doesn't appear to be working properly. I've also got a BlackBerry and am looking forward to throwing it away so I can only have one phone/PDA.

Basically, I would receive an e-mail in Outlook on my laptop then my BlackBerry would go off within 5-10 seconds; however, my iPhone doesn't receive the same message. It seems like it's checking the exchange server at unspecified intervals but I can't seem to wrap my mind around it. If I check my iPhone what seems like hours later, I'll see those messages delivered. Beyond that, I have to actively receive messages when I open up the Inbox of my Exchange mail account or hit the Refresh icon. It seems like going OUT, everything syncs up rather quickly (read mail on iPhone turns to read in Outlook and BB). It's just going IN is the problem. It's like the tubes are clogged. :)

In my Settings under the Fetch New Data menu, I have Push set to ON (it was set to OFF before and the same thing happened) and Fetch is set to Every 30 Minutes. Then, under the Advanced menu, my Gmail is set to Fetch and my Exchange is set to Push.

Are there any other settings I should be concerned about? Is anyone else encountering the same issues? I'm wondering if perhaps there's server setting my IT Help Desk has to change because one of my co-workers tells me he's getting his messages almost instantaneously, and we both have the same settings. I checked Apple's support page but it doesn't give much detail, so I'm hoping someone here can offer some suggestions.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

This is not the case with my iPhone. Emails coming into my Exchange inbox are sometimes received on my iPhone before Outlook notifies me. I'd try force quitting the mail app by holding down the home button for a couple seconds until you get to the home screen. If that doesn't do anything then try rebooting your iPhone by holding down the home and sleep/wake button. If you're still having issues it could be something with your Exchange server.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I do notice a strange lag that can go for hours. Once re-checking manually it appears that it puts my exchange receiving ability back on track and I get emails instantly. Try that.

4. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Same issue, but...

It only happens when I am on wi-fi at the office. The mail is delayed. If I turn it off, no issues,.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ask your IT folks to read the following article and make sure the heartbeat settings on the Exchange Server are correctly set... default values specified in this article are a good place to start:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905013

And yes, it is common for a mobile device to get notification of a message before Outlook or Entourage does. That happens because Exchange Server sends out mobile device notifications first.

Oh, and WiFi and Push do not play nice. Read this for more detail:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/04/03/424028.aspx

6. rfmurphy81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed!

I tried some of the suggestions in this thread, which didn't work, so I called my IT Help Desk. It turns out that a setting was disabled that shouldn't have been. Something about "up to date notifications" which I believe may be the heartbeat item in the Microsoft KB article posted.

I'm also getting a certificate installed for our secure WiFi network, so I'll see if that turns into an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement! I'm so glad my new phone isn't broken after reading all the horror stories elsewhere on this forum.