Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I need help setting up my Exchange Mail on the 2.0 Firmware beta. The information i need to input is as follows.

Email Address: johnsmith@WebsiteAddress.com
Username: John Smith
Password: Password00
Server (Or Whatever You Call It): NYEXCHANGE1.WebsiteAddress.com

What do I input for:

Email:
Server:
Username:
Password:
Description:
Use SSL:

Please Advise! My company said I can get the iPhone 3G on Launch Day if I can get my email to work. Also what is the deal with these things called certificates? Do I need them? I know that my Macbook (via Windows Microsoft Outlook 2007) is not able to get my email unless I am plugged into my internet connection at the office but my Blackberry can get my email anywhere.

Please Help,
TheYankees1903 :apple:

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
You need to ask your IT department how they have their Exchange server set up. Whether you need to enable SSL or use certificates all depends on how the Exchange server at your job is configured. The mail certificate, if required, would be provided to you by your IT department... or if you can check your email via OWA (Outlook Web Access), you can download the mail cert directly from there in IE.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Well, the first 4 are just the 4 things you listed above. The description is how you want it to appear, like "Work Mail" and Use SSL, well, that's up to your company's server settings, but usually trial and error determines whether that should be set to Yes or No.

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
You need to ask your IT department how they have their Exchange server set up. Whether you need to enable SSL or use certificates all depends on how the Exchange server at your job is configured. The mail certificate, if required, would be provided to you by your IT department... or if you can check your email via OWA (Outlook Web Access), you can download the mail cert directly from there in IE.

My IT guys didn't know anythign about the iPhone. They told me if I could figure it out I could get my iPhone 3G. Any advise based on the information I posted? Anything I should / could try?

Please Advise,

Well, the first 4 are just the 4 things you listed above. The description is how you want it to appear, like "Work Mail" and Use SSL, well, that's up to your company's server settings, but usually trial and error determines whether that should be set to Yes or No.

I tired all of this... Is it possible that my exchange email is not compatible with the iPhone.

Can you please tell me exactly what to input?

Please Advise,

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
My IT guys didn't know anythign about the iPhone. They told me if I could figure it out I could get my iPhone 3G. Any advise based on the information I posted? Anything I should / could try?

The settings needed to get the iPhone working with Exchange are not iPhone specific, you'd need the same info for a Windows Mobile device or just about any other smart phone as well. No offense, but it sounds as if you're a little bit over your head and your IT guys aren't very good at doing their own jobs... I'm an IT guy and telling a user to try and "figure it out for yourself" doesn't fly at my job... but anyway:

What do I input for:

Email:

This is your email address obviously, such as: you@company.com

And this is the hostname of your Exchange server, such as: mail.company.com

Username:

Again, pretty obvious, but I'm pretty sure you need to put the domain in front of the username, Domain\Username

Password:

Password, duh.

Description:

This is just if you want to give your Exchange mail account a friendly name on the iPhone, such as "Work Email". I personally prefer to use the email address for the description of all my mail accounts on my iPhone.

It's either gonna be on or off, depends on how your IT guys configured the Exchange server.

As for the certificate, you should really ask your IT guys to provide you with one. The certificate gets installed on the iPhone by emailing it as an attachment to an email address that the iPhone already has access to. Once the email is received, just tap on the attachment and the iPhone will ask you if you want to install the certificate. You'll also need to check with them to make sure that ActiveSync access is enabled through your companies firewall to the rest of the Internet. You mentioned a blackberry before, so it's possible that they have their own blackberry server set up at work to handle mobile email access and may not have ActiveSync permitted outside of your own companies Intranet.

If your IT department can't help you with this I would really complain to their manager, because if they can't help you with something as simple as this maybe they don't belong in IT...

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
The settings needed to get the iPhone working with Exchange are not iPhone specific, you'd need the same info for a Windows Mobile device or just about any other smart phone as well. No offense, but it sounds as if you're a little bit over your head and your IT guys aren't very good at doing their own jobs... I'm an IT guy and telling a user to try and "figure it out for yourself" doesn't fly at my job... but anyway:

This is your email address obviously, such as: you@company.com

And this is the hostname of your Exchange server, such as: mail.company.com

Again, pretty obvious, but I'm pretty sure you need to put the domain in front of the username, Domain\Username

Password, duh.

This is just if you want to give your Exchange mail account a friendly name on the iPhone, such as "Work Email". I personally prefer to use the email address for the description of all my mail accounts on my iPhone.

It's either gonna be on or off, depends on how your IT guys configured the Exchange server.

As for the certificate, you should really ask your IT guys to provide you with one. The certificate gets installed on the iPhone by emailing it as an attachment to an email address that the iPhone already has access to. Once the email is received, just tap on the attachment and the iPhone will ask you if you want to install the certificate. You'll also need to check with them to make sure that ActiveSync access is enabled through your companies firewall to the rest of the Internet. You mentioned a blackberry before, so it's possible that they have their own blackberry server set up at work to handle mobile email access and may not have ActiveSync permitted outside of your own companies Intranet.

If your IT department can't help you with this I would really complain to their manager, because if they can't help you with something as simple as this maybe they don't belong in IT...

The thinf about a blackberry server and ActiveSync not permitted outside of the companies Intranet sounds correct to me. Does that make it not possible? Also if I have the certificate installed on my Outlook 2007 (Via Windows XP) and Blackberry is there anyway I can find the file on one of those devices and email it to my iPhone? I am assuming that I should take the certificate from my blackberry and email it to my iPhone. Is that correct? What should I do?

As far as the IT they said that they are looking into it.

What should I do? Also When you say domain as part of the username do you simply mean "comanyaddress.com"? Do I include the NYEXCHANGE1 part or the .com part? What do I do in terms of the space?

Please Advise,
TheYankees1903

P.S. Thanks for your help so far.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I tired all of this... Is it possible that my exchange email is not compatible with the iPhone.

Can you please tell me exactly what to input?

Please Advise,

I cannot tell you exactly what to input because I have no knowledge of your account/server information. Exchange IS supported by the iPhone.
However, the 6 things you listed would be filled in as follows

Email: Whatever your email address is (johnsmith@WebsiteAddress.com)
Server: Whatever the server is (NYEXCHANGE1.WebsiteAddress.com)
Username: Whatever your username is (johnsmith)
Password: Whatever your password is (Password00)
Description: You can put whatever you like in here, for example "Work mail"
Use SSL: Yes or No (will depend on your particular server, but try it if it doesn't work try the other way)

If you still don't know what you are doing I suggest talking to the people who supply your exchange server. They'll be able to tell you all the correct settings for their particular exchange server.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
The thinf about a blackberry server and ActiveSync not permitted outside of the companies Intranet sounds correct to me. Does that make it not possible? Also if I have the certificate installed on my Outlook 2007 (Via Windows XP) and Blackberry is there anyway I can find the file on one of those devices and email it to my iPhone? I am assuming that I should take the certificate from my blackberry and email it to my iPhone. Is that correct? What should I do?

As far as the IT they said that they are looking into it.

What should I do? Also When you say domain do you simply mean "comanyaddress.com"? Do I include the NYEXCHANGE1 part or the .com part?

Domain is basically the name of your windows network at work. Do you sign into a Windows machine at work? If so at the logon screen it most likely asks you for username, password, and domain should be a dropdown box as well. It enables you to sign in to the machine using either a local account or a domain account. Many times the domain simply is "comanyaddress.com" as you put it. If you still don't know what this is, your IT department should be able to provide you with this (if they can't then your company really needs to hire some new IT guys...).

If ActiveSync isn't permitted to the outside then you're SOL I'm afraid, unless they allow IMAP to the outside... but that doesn't help if you want access to your Exchange contacts and calendar. If the mail cert is saved to your blackberry already it may be possible to simply snag the file off of it and email it to your iPhone, but I have absolutely no experience with BBs. If you have the mail cert installed in Outlook 2007 then you should be able to export it to a file and email it to your iPhone... this may be of help in figuring it out: http://www.globalsign.com/support/personal-certificate/per_outlook07.html

Perhaps this may be of use to you and your IT department as well:
http://images.apple.com/iphone/enterprise/docs/MS_Exchange_fs.pdf

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006

Yes it is possible - ActiveSync compatibility requires Exchange Server 2003 or 2007. My work uses an old Exchange 2000 server and is not compatible with the iPhone 2.0 software - it sucks.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I just took the plunge and upgraded to 2.0 (a little early, I know) and the exchange support sucks--in fact the email support sucks overall. First, Mail.app doesn't even work (yes, I am running the final 5a345 build), it crashes on startup. Second, it is impossible to remove a mail account that you had before upgrading to 2.0. Third, if you want to use exchange, you are forced to have a password lock on your phone, so every single time you want to use the phone (say, to change songs or connect to a wi-fi network), you have to enter a password. There appears to be no way of disabling this.

Looks like it's webmail for me.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Following up the import certificate question:

I currently am using an HTC device, and have a few certificates installed on it. There is a .pfx certificate, for which I used some obscure program for Windows Mobile 6.0 to import it, and it works. Also we have the encryption key for encrypted Emails.

Sending these two certificates to a WWW Email, or transferring them to the iPhone via iTunes, would I then be able to simply import these, or do I need a special program?

TIA

Cuprous

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
I configured my iPhone for my company's exchange server. During the setup process the account information went through. However, mail is stuck at the spinning pinwheel "checking for mail" no messages appear. I must be close because my calendar syncs fine. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.