exchange MBP memory with iMac memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kwfl, Sep 9, 2007.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

i have core 2 duo 8 month old iMac with 2GB memory. i would love it to be 4GB since i am using pro apps

first of all, is there any technical reason for not upgrading to 4GB, for example, are there any memory limitations for the iMac?

second, i am buying a new MBP in two weeks, i wanna buy with 4GB ram and then exchange the ram with the iMac
    is that good?
    at apple memory store
    Apple Memory Module 2GB 667MHz DDR2 (PC2-5300) 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
    for bot iMac an MBP
    can i exchange it with ease in both machines?

thanks

2. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I believe both use PC5300 SODIMMs, so you could trade chips between the MBP and the iMac. However, this would be a substantial waste of money, IMO, because you will pay way too much for RAM at the Apple store, and your iMac (as opposed to the new models) can only address slightly over 3GB of RAM anyway. Check out the prices and speed comparisons at macsales.com. For half of what you would spend at the Apple for the memory upgrade/swap you are proposing, you could buy a 2 GB DIMM for the iMac to upgrade it to 3 GB, and two for the Mac Pro to upgrade it to 4 GB. On top of that, macsales.com will give you a rebate for the 3 DIMMS you will be taking out of your iMac and MBP.

3. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

4. Shrek6446 macrumors member

If you are going to be buying a macbook pro i would only get whatever is standard with it and buy the rest somewhere else, apple store will change you at least double of what you can find online. newegg has a sale going on 4gb for $249 with free shipping. Then you can take the 2gb from you imac and put that into your MBP