Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
UK
Surely this can't be true

"While iPhone Software v2.0 allows for both personal and Exchange email accounts to function simultaneously, synching Exchange calendars and contacts will erase any personal calendars and contacts. " Walt Mossberg

I want to sync up my work calender through exchange and use my mac / mobile me to manage my personal calendars and contacts. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
apparently this is true of blackberrys as well (although im not sure, that was just posted on these forums)

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
i hope this isnt true i was also hoping to have exchange for work and mobile me for personal/home

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
It would make sense, since on the iPhone there's only one calendar and one contact 'folder' - unlike mail which has the ability to have multiple email accounts.

Surely this can't be true

"While iPhone Software v2.0 allows for both personal and Exchange email accounts to function simultaneously, synching Exchange calendars and contacts will erase any personal calendars and contacts. " Walt Mossberg

I want to sync up my work calender through exchange and use my mac / mobile me to manage my personal calendars and contacts. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

edmartin

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
From the screen shots of the 2.0 software, it looks like you can choose in ActiveSync as well as MobileMe whether you want to sync mail and/or calendar and/or contacts. But since the iPhone only has 1 calendar and 1 contacts list, it sure seems like we will have to choose which one we want. I haven't seen or heard anything about multiple calendar or contact support and the reviews sure call out single calendar/contact support as a short-coming.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'm in the same boat as you all- I was beginning to think I was the only one. A fee things I've noticed:

-iPhone 2.0 does have some sort of multi calendar support- its visible and even mentioned in the mobile me walkthroughs- you see different colored events and the "all calendars" label on top. But, from what I can tell- its read only-while you could read and distinguish multiple calendars its my guess that you'll still have to pick one calendar where everything made on the iPhone goes

-iPhone 2.0 has added a distinct contacts app like the iPod touch- I've guessed/hoped that this was to accomodate separate address books, but I haven't seen any proof one way or another

-at least some of the AT&T literature has said that a business data plan will be required for all exchange support- its unclear andhas been posted about all over the place here- I've even pessimistically guessed that the single calendar and contacts setup is done on purpose to encourage the current model where some people must have a separate work phone and separate personal phone, even though the iPhone should be fully capable of managing each separately

I guess we'll all see Friday

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
UK
OK how about this then.

If I move my contacts calendars back to Exchange and delete from my Mac do you think I could mirror "a read only" copy to Mobile Me and my Mac?

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
I was wondering the same thing..thought I was going to be only one wondering about it though. As soon as I saw what mossberg said I cursing up and down...I guess we will see on Friday how it works hopefully he is wrong because this sucks.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
The screenshots posted HERE don't look very promising for those wanting to use MobileMe and Exchange.

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
On my SE m600 when i use exchange activesync it syncs everything in my phone to my exchange account. So i would guess that this will not work. It may allow you to keep an exact copy of your address book/email in both exchange, your phone and mobileme, but not separate versions on the two.

Only a guess, we shall all find out soon enough!!

v-roc

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
What about this...

So what about if you use mobileme to connect to your work pc, so mobileme will sync work, iphone, & home pc contacts, & calendars. Then use exchange for work mail and to accept invites. That seems like that would work. :apple:

Slip Jigs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
For anyone using Exhchange the way it's meant to be used, there should be no need for both services. You have Outlook at work configured to Exchange, and at home via VPN.

However, I'm sure there are many who don't have the VPN hookup, myself included and would benefit from being able to use both. I don't want to sync exchange email at all - I don't need my work email on the phone. But, I would like to keeps the contacts and calanders synced.

I can't even do this currently by docking as iTunes will not recognize contact folders (groups) on the work computer, and I think it's because it's configured to Exchange.

Another issue that I would have, if it all does work, would be that the push MAY dump work email on home computer and vice versa. I'm thinking a workaround may be to create another set of personal folders on the work PC and push to that. We'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.