Exchange my new MBA 13" for a MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erasr, Sep 3, 2011.

  1. erasr macrumors 6502

    Sep 18, 2007
    I need help!

    I bought an Air 13" the other day, still in it's 14 day return period.

    I can't get used to the screen :-( I've come from a 2010 MBP 13" and the display on the MBA is so weird. Poor, washed out colours and the white areas are blinding on my eyes!

    Most people new to MacBooks will love the air, my gf loves it, but coming from the 2010 MBP I just can't used to it. Comparing them side by side, the MBP has far stronger colours and is easier on the eye. Yes, I prefer the lower resolution. Text on a higher resolution I believe is actually bad for eyes.

    Should I take it back and swap for a 13" MBP? I need one or the other at least, it's a long story, but my concern is they will completely redesign the MBP soon. What to do! Please help. Try and get used to the Air or exchange for Pro?
  2. danpass macrumors 68020


    Jun 27, 2009
    Miami, FL
    I had a similar concern.

    This past week I ended up going with a refurb MBP 13in i7 anyway.
  3. clearyjp macrumors member

    Oct 6, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    I exchanged my MBA 13" for the MBP 13" for the exact same reason. I just couldn't get used to the washed out colours.
    Don't be worried about new MBP's coming out. You can always sell whatever computer you end up with to buy the new model.
  4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Mar 31, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I don't understand why you needed to ask us.

    If you don't like the MBA, then take it back and either get the MBP or wait, it isn't hard.

    You obviously don't like the screen; in that case, get something with a better screen.
  5. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

    Jun 12, 2011
    If you don't like it, return it :)
    Since your MBP is only a year old, why get a new one??
  6. JDrive macrumors member

    Jun 3, 2010
    I would exchange the air for the MBP 13". Otherwise you will be waiting for a couple months. I can't see the new MacBook revision coming out before late Q1 early Q2 next year when Ivy Bridge is expected to be released.
  7. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

    Aug 1, 2011
    Detroit, MI
    IVY BRIDGE... june/july 2012
  8. Kafka macrumors 6502

    Mar 10, 2011
  9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030


    Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Power needed more than portability, then yes.
    But portability more than power, no, stick with the MBA
  10. Arni99 macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2011
    Vienna, Austria
    I sold my MBA 11" 2011 and went for a MBP 17 2011 refurb. A hard turn I know HAHA!
    More bang (and screen) for the bucks :).
  11. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Sep 9, 2008
    I did the same, returned 2010 13" MBA and for a 2011 13" MBP due to the crappy screen on the MBA. Recently sold my 2011 MBP, and now I can't decide what the hell to buy. Keep getting tempted by the 11" MBA, but worry I will end up feeling the same about the display.....:confused:
  12. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 18, 2007
    It is a crappy screen, I agree on that. The resolution at least gives more room though although I feel I could sit for hours on my old MBP screen, with the MBA it's a bit more intense.

    Well I have some days left to decide. I do think there will be some sort of small update to the 13" MBP soon, surely. February was a long time ago.

    I could keep the Air and sell it when the Pro refresh happens.
  13. Kristine macrumors 6502a

    Feb 21, 2005
    I have just come back from the Apple store. In total, I have returned four 13" MBA's (two of these were today). All were with the LG screen and Samsung SSD. The manager got upset with me and said MBA not for me because I am too fussy about the screen and build quality. I sold my 2011 15" hi res antiglare last week, so yes maybe I am expecting too much from the MBA. The reason for selling my 15" was because I was wanting something smaller and lighter.

    I purchased a 13" MBP today and will see how I like it. If not, I guess will be ordering another 15" that I already had.
  14. elpmas macrumors 68000


    Sep 9, 2009
    Where the fresh snow don't go.
  15. arctic macrumors 6502a


    Jun 18, 2008
    In your shoes, I'd get the high-end 13, max it with SSD and RAM upgrades. Perhaps even Optibay and get a superdrive.
  16. VW-MAC-GUY macrumors newbie

    Sep 5, 2011
    I am going to the Apple store either today or tomorrow and doing trading my 13" MBA for the MBP for similar reasons. I do not like the screen and do not like the limited storage space. I loved the portability of it, but it just wasnt for me.:mad:
  17. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 18, 2007
    Found this quite funny. I think most of us here are too fussy about things like that. We are their worst nightmare!

    If I take mine back, it will be the 2nd return in a week because the MBA was faulty (oh and that's another thing, I think their build quality is nowhere near the standards of Apple up to 1-2 years ago).

    Wow, it seems a lot of people are doing this then.

    Only reason I'm slightly against swapping it for a 13 MBP is the fact the MBP might get a small update very soon. To be fair, the size of them is also looking slightly dated :( Other than that, far far far better screen than the Air.

    Storage space isn't such a problem, I've been clever with mine so far and don't need all the music and photos on it that I had on the Pro.

Share This Page