Exchange or keep? Seagate SSDHD Hybrid.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbachandouris, Mar 19, 2014.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I installed the 8GB/1TB Seagate Hybrid drive. It's been about a week and I don't notice any speed difference. Also it's a little noisier than the stock Hitachi my MBP came with.

Would the 1TB Toshiba ($30 cheaper) be a better option?

As I'm not prepared to go full SSD, trying to decide what to do here.

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

It needs half a dozen reboots to cache the files for fast booting, though there ain't nothing like the real solid state thing :D

3. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I have the toshiba and I feel like it is significantly faster than the old 5400 drive. I find it odd how little the platter spins up - I mostly use the machine for Logic, iTunes (huge library) and iPhoto (huge library). Start ups are quick and everything else seems good, too.

4. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Is it as quiet as the stock drive? It seems like the Seagate is louder.

As for reboots needed to fill the cache, I rarely reboot. I just close the lid, so if the SSD portion only helps with start up time, then its not a good investment for me.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I saw where Seagate now has a new version of "hybrid" drive -- which bundles about 120gb of SSD storage -and- a 1tb spinning HDD into a single 2.5" enclosure.

The cost is around $220, but looks to be a way to put either a "dual drive" setup into a MacBook into -one- drive space, or even have your own fusion drive within...

6. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

For $220, I'd just buy a lower capacity SSD instead. Plus I haven't seen this drive yet.

7. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

My MBP also seems to be a lot warmer than with the stock drive. Although the HD temp is only 48 Celsius (down from 60 awhile ago).

Do Seagate's run any hotter than comparable drives?

8. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

When the platter spins up, it is definitely louder, but it also spins up a LOT less often than the old one did.

9. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Just put the stock Hitachi back in. MUCH quieter and cooler. Odd.

10. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Exchanged the Seagate for a 1TB Western Digital HD. The box says quiet and cool. Although it runs MUCH cooler than the Seagate, its just as noisy. Grrrrrr...I may just say forget it and stay with my stock Hitachi drive until I can afford SSD. This really sucks.:mad:

11. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Why not check the Tech Specs of a drive and compare it with your existing one before purchase.
    They normally list the noise levels in there.

Barney

12. jbachandouris, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Good idea. I didn't think to look up specs on my original drive.

I can buy a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD for $139.99. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy an SSD after all.

13. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I don't have an external enclosure, so how do I wipe the drive for a return?

14. rex450se macrumors regular

I don't know how much this helped or if it was a placebo effect, but when I had installed the Seagate hybrid drive in my 2011 MacBook Pro I did a fresh install of Mac OS X instead of restoring from a backup or cloning the drive. I then turned the machine off and on a few times and used it without installing anything additional for as long as I could. The theory behind this at the time was that the drive would learn the programs or whatever you used most often and house those on the SSD part of the drive speeding them up, and by turning the machine off and on with out really using any apps it would train the drive that the OS was the most used program and store it there. As I said, don't know if actually helped or just felt like it helped but it did seem like the boot time got quicker the more I did it. Then I loaded everything on it I needed and proceeded to use it like i normally would. I would say that load time of the OS on boot up was noticeably quicker than with the stock drive and some normal operations seemed slightly quicker than before.

Victor

----------

The easiest way is to spend the $10 or less on an enclosure. Sometimes they're handy to have anyways. You con't have to worry about getting a USB 3.0 one or anything, just pick up the cheapest one you can find.

Hard Drive enclosure under $5

Victor

15. Gav Mack, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Your 2010 has SATA 2, a crucial m500 is an excellent match for that model with the 03 firmware. Prices have fallen a hell of a lot recently cos crucial have launched the m550. If you instead want to keep your mac for a long time and not remove the drive in the future to go in a SATA 3 model like the 11/12 it would be my SSD of choice to go in a 2010 - else get the evo which streaks ahead in SATA 3.

If you want to erase your SSHD download a free active killdisk ISO, burn off, hold option down on boot select the cd and zero the drive.

You will be laughing at how fast it is and will never go back to a spinning disk or SSHD to boot OSX ever again and it's utterly silent!