Exchange or not to exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greedyboy, Aug 9, 2008.

1. greedyboy macrumors newbie

My iPhone 3G has a light leak on the left side of the phone near the volume switch. It doesnt really bother me that much, but will this be a problem in future? Like dust etc getting in?

So shall i just take it in to the apple store and exchange it? Actually will they exchange it for this problem?

2. aphexii macrumors 6502

I had a light leak on my first gen and it never caused any problems in the 11 months I had it. That being said, its your device, if it bothers you by all means exchange it. Keep in mind though, while the replacement may look brand new, it may have other issues (such as dead pixels, or light leak as well), so keep that in mind. There's nothing really stopping you from exchanging again if the replacement isn't right, but its gonna be hard to find a perfect iPhone.

Apple has been very cool about exchanges in the past, so in the end its up to you. If you can live with it and otherwise the screen is pristine, I wouldn't worry.

3. danielforman macrumors regular

Ligth Leak on the iPhone 3G will probably casuse dust to get under the glass. I have had 4 iPhone 3Gs so far first had a loose power button after 2 weeks use and the rest since have all had dust under the glass. Two I noticed had light leak and the current one I have, even though the light leak is very very small it has allowed a lot of dust to get in in about 2 days since I got it delivered brand new.

So I am now waiting for my 5th unit to come from O2-UK. I would certainly take it back if I was you but you may end up playing russian roulette trying to find one without a problem/defect.

Also I believe that those first gen iPhones that had light leak would not suffer from the dust getting under the glass as the glass and screen were glued together so no way for it to get in between. But with the iPhone 3G this is not the case as they have left them separate to make it cheaper and easier to repair. This is what I have heard, might be wrong.

4. greedyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

So if i was to go and exchange, would i go to the apple store or O2 store? I bough it from an O2 store.

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

An Apple store... but I dont think they will exchange it for you...

6. danielforman macrumors regular

If you live near an Apple store I would go to there preferably. You will need to book an appointment with a genius but I think you will get on better.

Although O2 should exchange it the store staff don't always see some defects as worthy of an exchange. Because of the limited stock they might turn you away and say it will be ok. This is probably down to their lack of technical knowledge on the device.

Because I got mine through the O2 online upgrade process I ring the O2 Customer Service and they send me a new one for doorstep replacement. However, if bought in store you have to go back to a store and not through Customer Service.

You can always try O2 store first and see what they say. If no luck go see a Genius at your local Apple store and explain the problem. Check your screen for dust and if it is letting it in then they should exchange it for you straight away. Lots of other people have successfully exchanged iPhones with light leak at Apple stores so you should have no trouble.

For me I am 2 hours away from an Apple store so not very convenient for me to take that option. But hopefully you will get it sorted and make sure you thoroughly check any replacement before leaving the store whether O2 or Apple.