Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigtar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Has anyone synced iPhone 2.0 with Exchange yet? I'm wondering how it is working, if it supports color categories, etc.

stormj

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
California
Nope

Has anyone synced iPhone 2.0 with Exchange yet? I'm wondering how it is working, if it supports color categories, etc.

I can't get it to work. Over the years, I've become quite an expert at hacking Smartphones to work with ActiveSync, and the problem usually lies with SSL certificates, but I think I've exhausted that possibility.

My account verifies, and then nothing will happen. trying to send an e-mail just results in "an error" occurring.

$*%*#&$*(W

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008

You didn't specify if you meant over ActiveSync or through iTunes so this may not be the answer you are looking for but might provide a hint.

I normally sync with iCal on my Mac at home. In the past I tried syncing my Outlook Exchange Calendar through iTunes on my PC at work. It creeated a huge mess.

Today after I upgraded to iTunes 7.7 I tried syncing again. This time iTunes created additional calendars in Outlook that correspond to each calendar I have in iCal at home and put the appointments in their appropriate calendar.

After I upgraded the iPhone to 2.0, the iPhone now supports multiple calendars so you can display one of the calendars or all of them (doesn't appear you can pick a few of them, works the same as selecting groups in the the contacts app, all of them or one group).

And here is the hint to your question. Each calendar has a color associated with it so the entries are displayed in the color of the calendar to which it belongs. None of my entries are color coded for categories so I haven't checked that but it seems that would conflict with the separate calendar implementation.

dss

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I'm having a similar but even more strange problem. My company has activesync configured correctly according to the apple KB article (and others already using it). I have everything set up and the connection is established and I am able to download contacts, and all mail in folders EXCEPT my inbox which keeps giving me "Cannot connect to server" errors and stays blank. I am stumped and so is my IT team. Any help would be very much appreciated.

bigtar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Sorry for not being clear..

I was asking if iPhone supports outlook catecoried when syncing through exchange.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
To follow up on my earlier post, I changed the category of one of my appointments in my Outlook Exchange calendar and then used iTunes to sync my calendars and the color of the appointment reflected the calendar color and not the category color. I am thinking the answer to your question is "no".

Unfortunately I still don't know if you are talking about syncing with Exchange over the air using ActiveSync or syncing with Exchange over the wire using iTunes. I doubt that the results will be different though. I have answered half of it. Maybe someone else will actually have ActiveSync working and they can check the other half just to be sure.

bigtar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Again, I apologize. I was asking if it (categories & colors) would work over the air via activesync

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Any way around not having outlook contacts and personal contacts all together without adding the personal contacts to outlook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.