Exchange Push not working on Wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by entropy1980, Jul 10, 2008.

1. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

Ok can anybody else confirm that when on WiFi Exchange push is not working? I loaded 2.0 , setup my exchange account, when on EDGE it gets push but If I connect via WiFi nada... I end up having to open up Mail to get new messages to sync. Anybody else?

2. bavarian3 macrumors member

Works for me but I am currently on the network (wireless at work)... will test at home and give an update.

3. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Mine doesn't work either but I suspect it's something within our network. I'll have to see when I'm at home tonight and on my own wifi network. I think it might be our network cause I can't open Outlook Web Access from within our own network either.

4. bavarian3 macrumors member

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Works fine. Keep in mind, you cannot use Entourage for testing this as it does not instantly hit the exchange server for all updates. Sometimes it waits to make a connection to the exchange server.

Log in to your webmail and add an event to the calendar, it will show up seconds later on the iPhone on wifi.

6. crawford macrumors newbie

Your problem is most likely local DNS. Try to ping your OWA site (by name) from a workstation at your work. If it won't resolve to an IP address, then that is your problem. It works at home because you are using public DNS servers which is also what your iPhone uses when it's on EDGE or 3G.

7. yalag macrumors 65816

a lot of people are reporting that push doesnt work wifi. For those who say it works, are you using WIFI from within the office? Are wifi at home? I think people here are saying WIFI within the office. I can resolve OWA with the WIFI but it will be an internal address

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I'll confirm some of these findings.

Yesterday when I setup exchange, I had set it up at home. Sending myself messages from a home computer to test, push was working perfect (I have wifi at home). Today at work I noticed that push wasn't working. I tried turning off the phone, removing the exchange account from the phone and redoing everything, etc. Nothing worked. I thought it was broke. I connect via wifi to the intranet at work.

So here I read this thread while waiting for class to start, and decided to send myself a message via web version of gmail to my phone. Email came instantly!

So in my eyes, it's true that exchange does not if connect via wifi at work. I'll have to talk to the it department to get this resolved.

9. entropy1980 thread starter macrumors regular

entropy1980

I believe I know what the issue is...

If you are not running a UM cert for Exchange 2007 you can run into cert mismatch issues as Exchange can and will have a self-signed cert for internal access to the EWS (Exchange Web Services). At this point to me it looks like AS (ActiveSync) hangs on the push since there is a issue with using a self signed cert with no recognized CA. The reaosn it works off site even on WiFi is then you are accessing the outside interface which more than likely has a legit cert so AS processes through fine. Just an educated guess.

10. pointman macrumors newbie

This is correct. This issue began occuring after we purchased a valid CERT from a trusted authority. Any fixes guys?

11. pointman macrumors newbie

Just figured it out guys...I went in to the certification authority and removed the invalid certs that were conflicting with my valid cert. All is well.