Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lls4f

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
United States
This is my first iPhone. I read online that the best way to get push notifications for a gmail account is to set it up as exchange. I followed those directions. I still don't get email notifications right away. They arrive about 5 minutes late on average, which may not sound like a lot, but for the volume of email I get in a day, that 5 minute delay is huge for me. MY android would get email at the exact same time, and sometimes earlier, than my gmail in a browser. I've tried deleting the account and re-adding it. This is an iPhone 5 that was set up as new, so I shouldn't be having restore from backup issues. There has got to be a way to get emails instantly. What am I missing?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
This is my first iPhone. I read online that the best way to get push notifications for a gmail account is to set it up as exchange. I followed those directions. I still don't get email notifications right away. They arrive about 5 minutes late on average, which may not sound like a lot, but for the volume of email I get in a day, that 5 minute delay is huge for me. MY android would get email at the exact same time, and sometimes earlier, than my gmail in a browser. I've tried deleting the account and re-adding it. This is an iPhone 5 that was set up as new, so I shouldn't be having restore from backup issues. There has got to be a way to get emails instantly. What am I missing?

It might be a gmail issue. I have not noticed a lag in gmail exchange. I am using a hosted account, is your account hosted or are you using a gmail.com email address?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.