Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
lol.

Yeah, its a lot cheaper, thing is, they'll sting you with Import Taxes and the Large Shipping costs, so its almost not worth it.

Edit: Not the fastest... hehe

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
VAT, import duty (roughly same as VAT again) and shipping soon eat into any benefits of buying over there though.

Not if you are using dollars to pay for online services like audiobooks, games, communities and so on.

On eBay, many things are below the threshold for high taxes/duty or are exempt.

It's like the internet is having a half price sale! Woooo! TSHIRTS FOR ALL!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
VAT, import duty (roughly same as VAT again) and shipping soon eat into any benefits of buying over there though.

With the current house prices in the UK at present and the exchange rate as it is, it would still work out cheaper to buy a house in the US, rent a ship out of New York, dredge a new canal right up to my new plot of land so I can sail the ship transporting my new house avoiding import tax and get Bob to put the foundations in. :p

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
With the current house prices in the UK at present and the exchange rate as it is, it would still work out cheaper to buy a house in the US, rent a ship out of New York, dredge a new canal right up to my new plot of land so I can sail the ship transporting my new house avoiding import tax and get Bob to put the foundations in. :p

Buy this bargain for only ~£25k! May include free lead-based paint.

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Anyone know of any decent online guides to buying from the USA and shipping to the UK? Maybe one that sets out how much import duties are, people's experiences etc...?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
And as someone in the US wanting to buy something from the UK, damn the exchange rate :D

A fried of mine told me to check out the b3ta book of sick jokes, since I love jokes like that. I looked at it online, and decided I have to have it. But Amazon UK is the only place selling it, and with the current rate and shipping, it would cost me nearly $30 to get a book

Although, an exchange rate of around 2 is handy when watching Top Gear. When they quote a price of some supercar in pounds, all I have to do is double the number to get a rough estimate in USD and then figure out which body parts I have to sell to buy that car :D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What's all the excitement? The pound is currently only about 10-15% stronger against the dollar than the average exchange rate, which over many years has been around $1.75.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Hehe i know this might be a bit of showing off thing but i can't stop my self.

Currently i'm in Kuwait where 1KWD=3.5USD!! Importing stuff is pretty cheap and by buying my mbp from the U.S apple store it saves me over 300KD (i.e nearly 1000$U.S)!!

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Maybe you shouldn't show off if you don't know that the dollar sign goes before the number...

That doesn't happen in all countries.

And the reason it is so exciting is because it is very easy to calculate prices of vintage Apple hardware in the US on eBay. WOO to the HOO, motherbitches!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
And as someone in the US wanting to buy something from the UK, damn the exchange rate :D

A fried of mine told me to check out the b3ta book of sick jokes, since I love jokes like that. I looked at it online, and decided I have to have it. But Amazon UK is the only place selling it, and with the current rate and shipping, it would cost me nearly $30 to get a book

Although, an exchange rate of around 2 is handy when watching Top Gear. When they quote a price of some supercar in pounds, all I have to do is double the number to get a rough estimate in USD and then figure out which body parts I have to sell to buy that car :D

You must be made out of gold and diamonds coz my leg wouldnt get me a Miata. Then again it is excessively hairy and the knee is a bit knobbly. Might get me a Ford of some description but no supercars. :D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Some French Canadians will place the dollar sign after the numerals when writing in English, but this is not strictly correct. Style manuals are very specific about the usage of currency symbols. They precede the numerals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.