Exchange S3 for S4 less than a week old

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Hi All,

Quick question if I may.

I bought two S3 aluminium GPS watches on Sunday whilst on holiday in Vegas from the Apple store. I'm back in London now, is it possible to go instore and ask for a direct swap out as I was unaware that the new S4s would have been released otherwise I would have got S4s instead of the S3s.

NB I paid on Mastercard and they are brand new unopened with receipt.

Thanks

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
It is entirely possible, but ultimately a managers decision. You are within the 14 day return period, so you could always opt for that and pay the 10% restocking fee. The only wrench in this could be the US / UK return. But I am sure Apple can work it out - as a global company.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Hi All,

Quick question if I may.

I bought two S3 aluminium GPS watches on Sunday whilst on holiday in Vegas from the Apple store. I'm back in London now, is it possible to go instore and ask for a direct swap out as I was unaware that the new S4s would have been released otherwise I would have got S4s instead of the S3s.

NB I paid on Mastercard and they are brand new unopened with receipt.

Thanks
Pretty sure the Apple Stores in different countries sort of work independently, so doubt they'll accept a return from another country.

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
thanks guys

is there any point going to the apple store before friday to see if they can either do a refund or swap out for the s4?

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
thanks guys

is there any point going to the apple store before friday to see if they can either do a refund or swap out for the s4?
Doesn't seem like they'll accept a return, per the Apple U.S. Returns Policy:
Products can be returned only in the country in which they were originally purchased.
https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/retail_us.html

It's pretty sleazy, in my view, that they have that in their policy. You could trade in the Series 3 you bought for much less than you bought it for through Apple GiveBack. If you're close enough to a store, might as well go and find out what your options are. It's a bad situation to be in, but at least because of your experience some people will learn not to buy Apple products whilst overseas.

Reactions: omgitscro

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
If you cannot return it to Apple (but give it a shot), you could turn to a third party market to see if you can sell it. It is going to be tough given that Apple is still selling the series 3 at a lower price. But worth a shot to recoup your cost.

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
I would say no..However Apple Tries for Customer Satisfaction.
Give it a go

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
thanks all. Im planning to pop into the Apple store tomorrow, will give an update after.

ps are the new iPhones on display now? tempted between xs and xs max to replace my iPhone 6plus.

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
quick update guys, i went to the apple store on regent st and as predicted they refused a refund as the watches were not purchased in the UK. worth a try but to be honest having used the S3s both my wife and I are happy with them, the S4s would have been great but alas it was not to be.

thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions.

next dilemma - new iPhone xs max or new proposed iPad pro??? :)

Reactions: Cigsm

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
quick update guys, i went to the apple store on regent st and as predicted they refused a refund as the watches were not purchased in the UK. worth a try but to be honest having used the S3s both my wife and I are happy with them, the S4s would have been great but alas it was not to be.

thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions.

next dilemma - new iPhone xs max or new proposed iPad pro??? :)
My next dilemma is new iPad Pro or AW Series 4. I’m personally still carrying my iPhone 6s. Finding that I value the cell phone as an entity less and less. I currently have an iPad Pro 9.7 and I find the combination with Apple Watch pretty much fulfills my needs. The value for iPads is also quite good. You can a lot more screen space and functionality than a phone and it costs much less. Pretty amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.