Exchange Server 2003 supposed to work with SL (CNet)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sn0warmy, Aug 28, 2009.

1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I read this article which explains that Exchange Server 2003 is actually supposed to work:
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49303381,00.htm

Exchange Support
    Apple has built in support for Microsoft's Exchange Server 2007. This is what, on a PC, pushes and synchronises all your email, contact info and calendar entries to Outlook and your phone.

By doing this, OS X's Mail, iCal and Address Book apps sync up just like Outlook. Note that if your company is still running Exchange Server 2003 (ours is), you will still be able to sync Snow Leopard with your office server. We confirmed this with Microsoft, a spokesperson from which said, "Correct -- it will work with Exchange Server 2003 as well." Our IT boffins here at CBSi confirmed this too.

I know it's still early, but has anyone had any luck getting this to work?

I'm about 30 minutes away from installing the $29 SL on my laptop. And I'm really hoping to have the ability to eliminate having a PC desktop on at work strictly for the connection to our exchange server 2003.

2. rjboger macrumors newbie

3. btownguy macrumors 6502

Heck, I would be happy if it used the same ActiveSync functionality built in to the iPhone. If so, I can work with my company's Exchange 2003 system without having to use any kind of VPN or anything. I'm content with that. I guess I'll know shortly.

4. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Sadly, I think the folks in the UK either have magical Exchange 2003 machines or they are using IMAP.
    I just tried and its a no go.
    When I put in my info, according to Apple it is supposed to self setup.
    Mine, it goes to an Incoming Mail Server dialog with account type selection.
    Your options are:
    Exchange 2007 (the only one that offers calendar and contacts)
    Exhange IMAP
    IMAP
    and
    POP.
    I tried to use the 2007 settings but it said my server was not responding.

I wish it would work but unless I am missing a step, it doesn't.
    Back to Entourage for me.

5. Squeak825 macrumors regular

The article is misleading. SL Mail.app will work with 2003 if you use IMAP, but not using the native Exchange Web Services.

6. Ooz Guest

You might be trying auto discover, which some companies block out. You might want to try configuring the server manually.

7. AmericanSisu macrumors newbie

Still won't work. I've done all that I can think of. Guess it's back to waiting for a 3rd Party plug-in.