Exchange server? Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Leemo, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Hi all.

I've been looking at switching from Gmail to an IMAP server to make sure my email is synced between all computers and devices I use - but the more I look into it - an Exchange server might be better, with it syncing contacts and calenders as well.

Apparently the phone I'm getting (The Moto Z8) can sync well with exchange servers for email, calender and contacts, and ideally this is what I'd like - all three being pulled and pushed to one server on both my phone and my Mac.

Am I understanding Exchange properly? Is this actually what happens? I've been directed towards 4smartphone.net - but they don't appear to be offering new connections right now.

Anyone have any experiences of using an exchange server with a Mac and a mobile? I'd like everything to be automatic in this respect. Can anyone recommend any other services online apart from 4smartphone?

Many thanks.

-Leemo

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Hey Lee,

You didn't mention what mail client you'll be using on your mac so I assume Mail right?

It will connect to an exchange server just fine using imap, but I'm pretty sure it won't sync your contacts.

If you use entourage to connect to exchange server then yes you can sync you contacts that way.

Cheers

Mark

3. pengu macrumors 6502a

Address Book in Tiger has an option to sync with Exchange.

4. Leemo thread starter macrumors 6502

Leemo

I do use Mail out of preference, and Address Book and iCal... I've tried Entourage but really couldn't get on with it in comparison to Outlook...!

Has anyone tried the Mail, Address Book, iCal + Exchange set up? It sounds a bit much for them all to work together with an Exchange server, just intrigued to see if anyone's managed it ok!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

-Leemo

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

For a few months after I received my Power Mac G5 at work, our Exchange server was still compatible with Mail[/i]. It worked better than Entourage 2004 ... until it was upgraded. I don't know why anyone, especially a Mac user, would volunteer to use Exchange. If you run a Mac shop, you get calendar publishing and sharing for free. I would suggest running MacOS X Server on one of your older Macs. Set it up to handle your communication synchronization tasks.