Exchange Server Question - Question for IT Experts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Siron, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I have an original iPhone. I'm considering getting the 3G phone and giving my old one to my wife. She has a company Blackberry which she hates. Can I set up the iPhone to work on her network or does her IT department have to do that?
    Alan

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

It really all depends on how her companies network is set up. Are you sure that they use Exchange server for email and not some other email server? If they do use Exchange, then the IT dept needs to have made ActiveSync accessible outside of their local intranet and also enabled mobile access to it for any users that wish to use it. She should really ask her IT dept if they're going (or willing) to support the iPhone.

3. sixth macrumors 6502

don't forget that corporate data plan for exchange!!!

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Why is it that everyone thinks that a business plan is required for Exchange capability? It isn't. You should have no problem connecting your personal iPhone to the Exchange server at work.

5. sixth macrumors 6502

yeah I started reading some other posts...saw that..my mistake.

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Just to chime in (I know you have corrected yourself) but corporate data plans are only for plans where the company pays the bill.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If the IT dept has Exchange set up a certain way, then she can stick in her username/password and get her email/calendar. There's a PDF on apple's site on what ports/services need to be set up.
    If your wife uses OWA, there's certainly a possibility.

8. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Can you post the URL?

9. guru_ck macrumors 6502

10. alexboy45 macrumors regular

i have my exchange server already setup for push email. when i setup my old XDA i had to import a certificat to authenticate the device. the companys IT department will have to make changes. Blackberry uses a 3rd party to send the email to your device (the Blackberry Servers) where as the Microsoft version pushes directly tot he phone. as long as you are not downloading attachments it dosent cost you a lot (in the uk anyway) the emails are pushed to the phone and O2 do not charge for this. i only had a 4mb bundle on my old contract and never went over that reading my emails and not attachments. your phone does "ping" the exchange just to say "hey i am still here". http://www.microsoft.com/technet/solutionaccelerators/mobile/deploy/msfpdepguide.mspx