Exchange Server - Remote Wipe

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nixiemaiden, Aug 23, 2010.

1. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I didn't know this but apparantly there is a feature built into exchange that will wipe your device and make it so that you can't restore without removing the pairing from the exchange server or possibly putting it into DFU mode.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this with an iPad. I know it works for an iPhone because my friend just accidently did it to his boss and almost lost his job over it...and from googling it I have found some sources that say it works with the iPad and some sources that say it doesn't...I know from my webmail I definitely have the link to "Wipe All Data from Device" and I am really curious if it will work. If no one has tried this I will try it out tonight or tomorrow night.

I really don't want any IT administrator at my company to have the ability to wipe my iPad but at the same time...if I ever lose it or it gets stolen...I want the ability to wipe it without having to pay for mobile me!

2. stix macrumors member

I assume it works. When I installed my corporate email on the iPad, the security certificate enforced this policy, plus having to have a PIN lock. Get the PIN wrong 8 times and the iPad is wiped. And, yes if some IT admin decides to remote wipe it, they can :eek:

(assuming the remote wipe works!)

3. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I had no idea this was available, will have to have a play tonight.

Will pair my old 3GS and then try a remote wipe, see how that goes...

AWESOME! Saved me some cash on MobileMe

4. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

BUMP! It works beautifully, wipes in about 4 seconds, and returns it to out of box state.

5. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Cool. Apparently my work has restricted me from using this as the Mobile Devices option doesn't appear on my Exchange 2007 OWA. I'm sure they can do this themselves if I call them though.

6. phanosp macrumors newbie

Hi,

I came to this forum while searching about the remote wipe feature on iPhone using exchange server. I understand that the administrator can remote wipe your iPhone if and when they wish/needed. That much I understand, it is a security feature trying to protect corporate secrets. But my concern is something else.

Does the administrator has the option/ability to access other personal email accounts that exist on my iPhone? Even worse can they see (through exchange) what calls do I make or my SMS? I have heard that the administrator has root access on my iPhone remotely when connected on exchange, is that true?

Since this is a personal iPhone 4 with a personal MicroSIM card I believe you can understand my concern. Thanks a lot.

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

They will not be able to see your personal calls or SMS, the enterprise management of iOS devices provides remote wiping and few other features. I was looking into this also as many employee's where I work are interested in switching to iPhones, unfortunately my boss (IT manager) is a windows fan boy and right now he will not consider making the switch away from RIM because of the lack of management on the devices.

8. phanosp macrumors newbie

Hi Dhelsdon and thanks for the reply. I guess deep down I was expecting that they should not be able to see the SMS and personal emails, it does not seem as something that apple should have enable on the iPhones accidentally or intentionally.

Do you mind explaining what the other few features are, I mean those that the enterprise management provides? Thanks.

Regards,

Phanos

9. Dhelsdon, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Here's some info direct from Apple, it's worth downloading the PDF too. I can;t wait until we update to Exchange 2007 (We're running archaec exchange 2003) so that some of these can be tested!

----------

More good resources here

10. phanosp macrumors newbie