Exchange server?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zhensley, Nov 22, 2008.

1. zhensley macrumors member

Forgive me for asking such a basic question, but the search tool just gives me loads of unwanted answers since it doesn't recognize quotes and the like.

Is the only way to get my Exchange server e-mail to both receive and send on my MBP to use Entourage, or dual-boot Windows?

Thanks

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Well other than entourage, right now there's no consumer way to do it. Snow Leopard, or Mac OS 10.6 will bring Exchange integration.

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Apple Mail "works" with Exchange server, that's what I'm using. There was a lot of futzing to get it right, but it works.

Oddly enough, iPod software 2.0 really got it right! As I recall I just entered the URL of the Exchange server, user name and password, then the rest was done automatically including Active Directory. This is what we're expecting in Snow Leopard.

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Not really. It's connected to your Exchange server, but connecting through IMAP.

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I've also read (similar to what you said) that if IMAP were disabled on the Exchange Server, acces via Mail.app would not work, but then why in my Mail.app account settings do I have incoming mail Account Type = "Exchange" (not IMAP) and outgoing mail = "NTLM" (not IMAP)? There is also an option to enter the "Outlook Web Access Server" URL.

6. zhensley thread starter macrumors member

I'm beginning to understand this now.

Now, I can buy Office 2008 Student edition for $62 through my school...but now I believe I'm hearing that the Student edition doesn't support Exchange? Any help?

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'd recommend first trying Mail.app & OpenOffice v3 which are both free and very nice apps!!

(according to mactopia.com, the MS Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition includes Entourage, which I think always supports Exchange)

8. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Yeh, but it connects through IMAP. It doesn't really go through "Exchange" ActiveSync. Try turning off IMAP and POP at the server. See if it works.

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I don't have access to that switch ;) & if it were up to me, my company would either be using xserves or opensource linux (mail) servers.

Does this mean Apple just calls IMAP either Exchange or NTLM as convenient?

10. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Basically yes. NTLM actually refers to the method of authenticating the user account before allowing it to send mail through the server (I believe it uses standard SMTP to send). Setting Mail to Exchange basically sets it up for IMAP and possibly sets up some webdav stuff for contacts.

Entourage uses webdav to do most of its connections (contacts, calendar, etc) rather than MAPI (the exchange standard protocol).

Depending on your IT staff, it is also possible to disable ActiveSync connections. That was a concern I had as the university I work at has IMAP disabled, but luckily almost 100% of the IT staff now have iPhones, so ActiveSync should stay. ;)