Exchange Setup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tubaguy63, Nov 14, 2009.

1. tubaguy63 macrumors newbie

I need a bit of help with setting up exchange on my iphone. It seems like such a simple process; however I just can't seem to get it to work.

Last week, I started working for a large corporation and I need access to my e-mail while on the road. The company pushes the use of blackberries, to the point that tech support will not support anything else!

Having never used exchange before, I assumed I could copy the setting off of my corporate laptop via the outlook e-mail settings menu; however it doesn't seem to provide sufficient information.

Due to an outlook error, I was able to find out the URL of the Outlook exchange web access.

Here is what I have been doing so far:

In settings, Mail.contacts, calendars, I select Add Account. I then choose exchange, input my e-mail addres, username and password. (Due to an outlook error on my laptop, I was able to find out that my username should have a "corp/" in front of it. I did not add "corp/" to the password). When I click next, the iphone is unable to verify certificate. I choose accept and then input the server as the URL of the outook exchange web access (without the http). I then select next and it tells me that my exchange account verification has failed. If I try to change the SSL setting, it doesn't help. If I try to access my e-mail through iphone mail, it gives me a connection to server failed message.

To me, this sounds like a settings issue; however tech support will not disclose any settings to me. If I had a blackberry, they still wouldn't disclose settings, rather they would have me download a configuration program. I am also unable to locate an employee with a phone other than a blackberry, to look at their configuration. I tried looked at a blackberry yesterday and couldn't find a menu showing the exchange config info.

Based on the tools that I have at my disposal (access to the exchange outlook web access site and my laptop's client outlook), are there any suggestions? I really don't want to get rid of my iphone and buy a blackberry!

Thanks in advance.

2. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Your settings look reasonable to me but I think they need to have ActiveSync enabled on the Exchange server for this to work.

Blackberry uses a separate (additional) program that attaches to Exchange so I do not think you will find Exchange settings on the BB. I believe it is possible to have the Webclient functional without having ActiveSync functional as well. If that is the case you may be out of luck for a standard install working.

It's been about 6 months since I've used this set up so I cannot 100% remember though..

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

It should be domain_name\username

not /

the mail server has to at least exchange 2003
    the admins may have disabled activesync
    if it's exchange 2007 and the admins enforce encryption than you need a 3gs

4. Prolanman macrumors newbie

In a corporate environment there will also be a firewall component. The documentation I received to have Push email work requires the use of a MS ISA server. Without this Push email won't work according to Apple.