Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranger12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
First time poster... go easy (or not, what do I care).

The main reason I am considering buying the upgrade would be for the Exchange support. Is it really going to be as simple as entering your username and password? I get the whole, "it just works thing", and I know it is only $29 bucks, but is it really going to be that simple? We are running Exchange 2007 at work.

Any developers out there who have tried it already? Is it going to be push technology? Will everything sync when I open calendar or mail apps?

Thanks for any responses.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
First time poster... go easy (or not, what do I care).

The main reason I am considering buying the upgrade would be for the Exchange support. Is it really going to be as simple as entering your username and password? I get the whole, "it just works thing", and I know it is only $29 bucks, but is it really going to be that simple? We are running Exchange 2007 at work.

Any developers out there who have tried it already? Is it going to be push technology? Will everything sync when I open calendar or mail apps?

Thanks for any responses.
It works flawlessly. It is exactly as easy as you describe--input your email address and password then choose what you want to sync (Mail, Calendar, and Contacts).

Works great, as I've now given up using a VM to access my email in Outlook.

bjorn989

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
It works flawlessly. It is exactly as easy as you describe--input your email address and password then choose what you want to sync (Mail, Calendar, and Contacts).

Great! exchange support is the only feature of Snow Leopard I am really looking forward to. I will be glad when I can get rid of Entourage for my uni e-mail.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I'm looking forward to Exchange support too. A couple of quick questions: Presumably mail on my employer's Exchange server appears in a separate mailbox to mail on my Mac? If I delete a mail message on my Mac, does it also delete it from the Exchange server too? Finally, will Contacts appear separately from my Mac Address Book - in other words Contacts and Address Book won't be merged? Thanks for any help.

pseudonymph

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
I'm looking forward to Exchange support too. A couple of quick questions: Presumably mail on my employer's Exchange server appears in a separate mailbox to mail on my Mac? If I delete a mail message on my Mac, does it also delete it from the Exchange server too? Finally, will Contacts appear separately from my Mac Address Book - in other words Contacts and Address Book won't be merged? Thanks for any help.
You can choose what to sync, but if you need everything (mail/contacts/calendars) synced in addition to having your own information, you might want to make a new user account on your computer just for work stuff.

ranger12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009

Thanks for the reply. I actually saw the WWDC segment about Exchange and it really looks like it is going to integrate well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BsdOqIbetU

Are there any settings that my network administrator could have set that would prevent the "easiness" like in the video? In other words is there anyway they could have blocked macs from working with exchange?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.