Exchange sync issues on the iPhone 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by indycolts2k6, Nov 5, 2008.

  1. indycolts2k6 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I've searched high and low and tried every suggestion I could find and I'm still having issues syncing to my Exchange account on my iPhone 2.1. I can setup the Exchange account just fine, but after a few hours I'll get a message saying "cannot connected to server". The ONLY thing that works is to go into my account settings and switch SSL on or off.

    I've seen a bunch of posts all over the internet about Exchange sync issues, but none where flipping the SSL settings like that was the solution to making everything sync up again. It's annoying to say the least and is not a solution at all, it's just what I've found to work.

    Can anyone help me or have any ideas for what might be causing this? I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this is an Apple/firmware bug that can only be truly resolved by them, but since I've narrowed it down to the SSL thing, I'm holding out hope that it could be something else.

    Here's a list of things I've already tried:
    1. Setting up the account through the iPhone configuration utility
    2. Installing the OWA certificate on my iPhone
    3. Reformatted my iPhone with a fresh install of 2.1 and re-added Exchange account
    4. Changed mail days to sync to 'unlimited'
    5. Added domain, removed domain
    6. Removed all mobile accounts from Exchange and re-added iPhone

    Here's my current configuration:
    Setup on Exchange 2003 with SP2
    Server: mail.domainname.com
    No domain entered
    SSL off (at the moment, but as soon as I get that message again I turn SSL on to start syncing again)

    If anyone can help me with this, I'd be eternally grateful!
     
  2. indycolts2k6 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    #2
    A quick amendment to this... I thought I had found the solution to my issue by entering in the IP address of our mail account instead of mail.domainname.com, but no such luck. It worked all day and then when I plugged it in to charge overnight and looked at it this morning, all I got was the typical "Cannot get mail. The connection to the server failed."

    I don't know what else to do, I'm at my whits end here.
     
  3. Hedgehoger macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2008
    #3
    You can verify the transport and cert settings by accessing MS Outlook Web Access via safari. On mine the domain is listed and ssl checked.

    Good luck!
     

Share This Page