exchange windows (7/xp) put on bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by view2darrel, Mar 7, 2013.

1. view2darrel, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

view2darrel macrumors member

good day everyone, first sorry if i post this on the wrong section. kindly move to appropriate thread if im posting this wrong.

BOOTCAMP PARALLELS Question:

1. if i install windows 7 on bootcamp, can i move my application software installation destination to my optibay haddrive? does it affect when i run parallels booting from bootcamp? (if change destination folder to optibay hdd) or should i need to install this on the partitioned bootcamp harddrive and not on optibay HDD. thanks

2. is trim supported on bootcamp windows 7? do i need to download third part trim enabler?

3. how about using parallels. (if trim is enabled on bootcamp partition whether default or third party -because ill boot it from parallels) does trim on parallels activate on default when i use it.

The Question below Has been answered:

I have a windows xp (licensed) and windows 7 laptop on acer ferrari.

my problem is i want to bootcamp windows xp but its not supported. i can run it on parallels (i bought the bundle with other softwares for 49.99). but i also want it to use its full hardware (bootcamp) in gaming. i know parallels can boot from bootcamp. so if i want to play games i like it to bootcamp and not parallels (correct me if im wrong).

so i want it to exchange my OS. i have windows 7 home premium on my acer ferrari laptop. i want this to be windows xp. get the licensed from it (w7) to be placed on my bootcamp for gaming and run parallels from it when im on OSX.

i know this is possible but i dont know where to start. how can i install xp on my acer laptop (via usb?) then how can i get the software for its hardware. like bluetooth etc. is there a software that automatically detect a laptop components and download every hardware software it have?

thanks in advance guys. i really need you help.

UPDATE: If you have a Laptop/Desktop PC that came from an OEM manufacturer like (Dell, HP, IBM, SONY, Lenovo, etc.) with an OEM license (Win 7, Vista, XP, etc) you cannot legally transfer the license. OEM licenses are tied to the original machine they are initially installed on. Plus the OEM's further lock down their version of the software so it will only install on a specific machine type they produced.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

While it may be technically possible, if your Windows 7 license is most likely tied to your Acer box and you explicitly do not have transfer rights to move it to another computer under the EULA.

Be careful. You may end up getting things installed only to find out that they will not activate due to the license restrictions and then they may not even work when you put them back on the original machines.

Which Mac do you actually have?

Yo may be better off trying to work around Boot Camp's limitations to get XP on your Mac rather than attempting this complicated switch.

B

3. view2darrel, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

view2darrel thread starter macrumors member

^ thanks for the input sir.

i have MBP mid 2012 13" base model.
    will try to read EULA when i get home though i know having a license number you can install it on anything as far as only 1 is computer is running, since i tried it years ago my laptop died and i move the licensed to my desktop ,i maybe wrong or EULA changes.

thanks again , will try to research more when i get home.

UPDATE: If you have a Laptop/Desktop PC that came from an OEM manufacturer like (Dell, HP, IBM, SONY, Lenovo, etc.) with an OEM license (Win 7, Vista, XP, etc) you cannot legally transfer the license. OEM licenses are tied to the original machine they are initially installed on. Plus the OEM's further lock down their version of the software so it will only install on a specific machine type they produced.

so i cannot install my win7 it is tied to my acer laptop. too bad.