Exchanged 15" MBPc for MBPr, accidentally left my 8gb RAM installed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gmikesell, Mar 15, 2013.

1. gmikesell, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

gmikesell macrumors regular

Back about 3-4 weeks ago, I got an open box 15" base model MBPc from Best Buy. Brought it home and put my 8gb Crucial RAM in. Then yesterday, found B&H photo pricing the 15" MBPr June, 2012 model for $1799.99 new. I called one of the last Best Buy's in my area that still had this model NIB in stock and they agreed to price match and exchange my MBPc. In my excitement, I wiped the MBPc and rushed out the door, to the store.

I get home to set up my new precious and I realize I totally forgot to change out the RAM in the MBPc with the original 4gb RAM.

I'm not butt hurt over the $50 I obviously won't get back for the RAM but I'm curious if this is any big deal or if there is any reason I should pursue getting the original 4gb RAM back to Best Buy? Has this happened to anyone, here, before?

2. walkie macrumors 6502

Don't worry Best Buy will resell it and the next person who buy it will win the RAM lottery :D, now seriously maybe you can call Best Buy and explain to them what happened but not sure about it since you opened the laptop for changing the RAM.

3. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Take the loss. You got a great deal and you still have 8 GB of RAM. Square.

4. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

if the mac is eligible for warranty then the next buyer will not have any warranty as "HE REPLACED THE RAM". I'd call Best buy and see what could be done.

5. gmikesell thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm not going to worry about it. Kinda puts a smile on my face imagining the surprise whomever will have when they discover they got a whole 8gb of RAM instead of just the 4gb.

...and yes, I'm completely stoked about my new MBPr!!!! I could care less about the 8gb I essentially tossed out to get this deal!

Thanks for the responses!

----------

Wow, that's a VERY good point! Yeah, I'll put a call in to Best Buy today and explain. They very well might want to get the original RAM back for that reason.

----------

Update: I called Best Buy back and explained the situation, including that they might want the original 4gb back for warranty purposes. They conferred with their Geek Squad agent and they confirmed that they were fine with just keeping the 8gb RAM and would just note it in the item description.

On a side note, got some great OEM Apple/Micron 4gb RAM for sale! lol

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

RAM is a user-serviceable part on the classic MBP and does not void the warranty if it's replaced.

7. thehustleman macrumors 65816

You can't use it so count it as a loss.

Hope your ram is maxed out just enjoy your computer and stop worrying about it

8. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Oh, in my country it voids the warranty :(

9. kensic macrumors 6502

why didn't you ask them to trade it back? saving 50$ is still 50$ for new rams. just ask for them back.

10. gmikesell thread starter macrumors regular

Because it would cost me about $20 - $25 in gas to go there and back and then there's the time cost. I saved about $400, including the price match, by going there to buy this MBPr so I figure it's all good (It's mint in every way, even got the Sammy display/SSD). I'm not going to miss any meals over what amounts to $25. Going to the trouble of driving there, convincing them to let me crack open the base after they take their sweet time trying to find it and bring it out is just not worth it. I'm happier staying at home surfing the internet, reading the MacRumors forum, facebooking, and getting my new laptop configured just the way I like it. Sooner or later I'm going to have to buckle down and actually get productive on this laptop but until then, I'm just gonna play.

11. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

How did you get it for $1799? B&H shows this model for $1899, and did yesterday as well? I'm contemplating exchanging my 13" rMBP for a base 15" rMBP but only at a $1799 price point.

12. gmikesell thread starter macrumors regular

Ack! My mistake! After digging around to find my printout from the BH Photo site from yesterday, I see that it was $1899, not $1799. Still a reasonable deal when I compared all the other sites. Geeze, I wish I could have found it for $1799! Sorry about that inaccuracy.