Exchanged iPhone 6 are already refurbished one?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Diogene, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Diogene, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

Diogene macrumors newbie

Hello,

I’ve just have my iPhone 6 replaced last Friday (dead pixels) and I spent quite some time here, reading comments and get a bit anxious right now! ;-)

Does my replacement iPhone will be a refurbished one? If I understand correctly, when you ask for a regular exchange you’ll NOT be able to ask for a refund?? Does Apple already ship refurbished iPhones 6?

Apple is not going to give up if I return 38 iPhones? :D

Anyway, Apple (french) support is really stunning!
    I’ll let you know when I get my new unit.

Thanks,

2. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Apple USA always used refurbs as replacements. Europe may be different as warranty laws seem better for consumers in some areas. Apple keeps a stock of phones just for this purpose. they have serial #s which identify them as replacements which has kept some dept stores here from accepting these as trade ins... not fair imo.

3. itjw macrumors 65816

Which stores don't accept refurbs as trade ins?

And no, the whiny "but I DESERVE a new one" guy that always wonders if the phone he just swapped (his used) phone for is a refurb does NOT count as a "store"...

:rolleyes:

4. Diogene thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your feedback!
    I hope I didn't understand correctly what you said :eek: (my English is weak)

It's now a fact that Apple change defect Iphone 6 w/ refurbished units,
    which is gonna be harder to sell because it's refurbished one, am I correct? :mad:

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Uh, no. There's no way the person you're selling it to will know it's refurbished, nor will they notice a difference. I got my 6 replaced on September 30th due to a screen popping issue and I'm fairly certain it was new, despite coming out of the white box.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

At this current time I don't think Apple hands out refurbished unit as a replacement unit as it's still too early. Sure a lot of device has been returned but not sufficient enough yet.

Rest assured, the replacement you have is brand new. Only problem is that your serial number will not match with the box so later if you do sell it you have to disclose it.

I went to the Apple store today to get my phone replaced because of the dust under screen and I was out of the return window so I had no choice but to replace it through the Genius. My replacement unit is brand new and it was made in week 37 and was made in foxconn. I'm pretty sure as of now they do have a separate unit just for replacement purpose and is still brand new.

About 2-3 month from now you should start seeing refurbs. But yes, I'm not sure how that works in Europe but in U.S that's how it works.

7. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I read reports on the forum that Best Buy in the US checked the serial numbers and did not allow trade ins on older refurbs/replacement iPhones but may not be true. Official apple returns have their own serial #s I'm told.

8. itjw macrumors 65816

Please link to reports.

It's complete and utter BS, sorry.

If you are going to feed the "but I don't wannna refurb!!!" trolls, please do so with factual information instead of conjecture you heard on an internet forum.

Watch: "Best Buy sold me a Unicorn today for $1.99!" Did they? Can you prove me wrong, or does posting it on a forum give it credibility?

On an unrelated note: it was a crappy Unicorn anyway, very gassy and not friendly at all. My daughter is devastated. Maybe a lawsuit is in order? DAMN YOU BEST BUY!!!

See?

And for the bazillionth time: WHITE BOX UNITS ARE ALMOST DEFINITELY REFURBISHED PHONES. There has been PLENTY of time since launch almost a month ago (when people were swapping/returning/changing their mind/bending/etc.) for Apple to send phones round trip to Foxconn TWICE for refurbishment if they wanted.

And for the gazzilionth time: IF YOU CAN'T TELL, WHY DO YOU CARE?

"Oh, but you CAN tell!"

Really? How? What serial number indicates a refurb? You don't know, but you're sure there is a combo that does? OK, share!

"But I don't wannnnnnnnnna dirty refurb. Sure I can't tell the difference, but I deserve a new one. Why? Because I spent money that's why! Don't you understand customer service???"

Too bad. If you are outside of the 14 day window and want to swap phones, you give them a used phone, and they'll give you back a cosmetically new used phone that works 100%. What a deal!

Only the serial number on your original box and Apple will know!

9. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Yikes, take a breath, relax. I read most of the previous post, some of it made sense. I came here to discuss, not yell. I'm sorry if you feel I was spreading Apple lies.

For those that want to discuss--
    1-Apple refurbished products are the best Apple buys for sure. 85% of my Apple products have been refurbs directly from Apple, including most of my iPads, iPods, and all my Macs. I love the refurbs...
    2- If Best Buy or anyone else is denying refurb phones for trade-in, I disagree with that practice. Refurbs could easily be a better phone, with a newer battery etc. Go yell at the people reporting this. Search under trade-in or maybe Tmobile. I don't know if it's true or not and I clearly stated that before.
    3- It's been reported for years that most replacement iphones are refurbs and renumbered with identifying serial #s different from 'new' phones. I thought that was common knowledge.

If this is wrong, then try not to take it so personal. There's more important things to stress about.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

That definitely used to be the case, but I don't think it is anymore

11. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I stand politely corrected. thanks, the world of iPhone has seen a lot of changes, now selling even more than is imaginable.

12. calbear92 macrumors newbie

Refurbished?

You should be able to tell by the model number (at least, on the 5/5S, you could tell by Settings -> General -> About and look at the model number.)

New models began with M and refurbished begin with N.

Refurbished is really a misnomer- Apple supplies remanufactured phones with new screens and external housing. If anything, these are more carefully scrutinized and tested thoroughly than the "new" ones as many have attested to here.

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

That's not strictly true either. Many of the new iPhone 6 and 6 pluses start with N as well

14. Shadowbech, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As the above me said, I doubt that refurbished begins with N. I got mine replaced yesterday and it has NGARLL2 (AT&T 6 Plus Gold). My Original one started MGARLL2. It is week 37 (Week of September 8) and it's Brand new.

But really, it shouldn't really matter, refurbished or not, you really can't tell the different in the outside. Whether Apple will start handing out refurbish unit as replacements 2-3 month from now, everything on the outside will be new, including the battery.

15. Diogene thread starter macrumors newbie

I called Apple (France), and once again, the support was more than excellent, as usual!

I directly ask the guy if it’ll get be a refurbished sample or a brand new one, and he said at this time, there is no refurbished unit of iPhone 6..

Voilà, "end of the story" and as some (wise) people say here, there’s probably some more important “stuff” in life, and they're probably right! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your feedback, I appreciate!