Exchanged iPhone4 - no signal issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lbeck, Jun 28, 2010.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

For what it's worth, there are iPhone's without the dreaded antenna issue. I just exchanged my
    mine at my local apple store and the new one is perfect. No matter what I do I can't get the signal to drop, even holding it tightly with two hands.

The first one I had drop constantly. All I had to do was put one finger over the left side antenna and within seconds it would drop to searching.

Not sure what this means but I'm sure happy now! Maybe it is a bad batch, pretty big batch though

2. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

What week is the your new phone? Find the week by the 4th and 5th digit of the serial number.

3. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Wish I was that lucky! I swapped mine out this past Saturday and still the exact same reception issues! Of course I got the last replacement until they get another shipment!

4. wongster41 macrumors regular

This further confirms that this is a hardware issue and not a software issue. It's bs, I exchanged my phone already and still having this issue. I'm on the verge of returning it if Apple doesn't make some sort of statement about it. The goddamn bumper is not helping my issue.

5. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Wow... this is really good to know. Hope we hear more of these stories.

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Ehhh no. Placebo effect maybe. I have a replacement from Apple store still does it. I have a replacement from Apple.com and that still does it. Neither of them do it all the time, depends where I am.

You're getting lucky right now with signal.

7. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

8. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Same here on both. There are no differences in our phones. I can still kill reception at my house with my big hand. Not at work.

9. jonstatt macrumors member

Have you confirmed the problem doesn't happen in the same locations that it did happen before? We know it is also location sensitive.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

this is very interesting. Calls into question the theories that a) it depends on the person holding it, and b) it depends on the signal strength where you are.

11. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Possible. But both phones were bought at same store. First one dropped signal quickly, second one does not at all. Plus, I e been all over Tampa today and can't replicate the issue. My first phone drop sig al everywhere, new phone won't do it at all. I'm just telling you my experience and will be sure to report if the problem returns.

12. richard371 macrumors 68000

I am going to wait for a more official announcement from Apple or at least let the dust settle a bit more. Im not doubting that some phones do not have the problem but its pretty simple. You bridge the antennas and the signal drops. Unless they started to put some coating on the metal I am not sure how some phones cannot have this problem from a scientific standpoint. I am going with the placebo effect also.

13. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

lol are you all ignoring my posts?? Denial? Hopeful? Cmon.

14. ryuuzaki macrumors member

ryuuzaki

This post screams software issue.

Edit: Nevermind. Thought you wrote "at the same time"

15. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

And, while I was waiting in the store, I tried it on 10 of their display iPhone's and 3 of them would not drop signal at all no matter what. I told the rep that and she said, "Hmmm interesting" yes it is

All same spots that dropped for me are now perfect. Seriously

16. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Well if it works for you, personally I think it's ridiculous that you somehow got a magical good batch.

I had my original, a replacement from Apple store and a replacement from Apple.com, all do it in certain spots.

It's signal related, you are getting lucky with signal man, sorry to crush all the hopes and dreams this thread is creating.

These are my two replacements, again from different Apple sources (also check the other thread, guy got a replacement, still does it)

[​IMG]

Our serial # are the same, our batch is the same, your phone is no different than the 1.7 million sold. I also was able to test all the display stores at Apple, they all did it to a certain degree, some 1 bar, some 3. Depended on which was closer to the door out to the mall. One didn't do it at all at first, until I held it for about a minute then it started.

Don't mean to sound annoyed but it's ridiculous to think there is a batch of good phones out there, that's not the issue at all.

If you keep trying, your phone will fail, post a video to prove it otherwise.

Thanks

This is false.

17. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Ferris23: believe it or not man, my phone is not doing it in all the same places that is was doing it with my first phone. I'm not saying there is a good batch or anything, I'm simply telling you what I'm experiencing. I could care less if you believe me or not. And I'm not taking the time to post a video, think what you want.

You very well could be right and the problem could present itself again. But right now, it's working perfect where it would not with my first phone. Make your own observations.

And there were also reviews I read(can't remember where, I will look for them) that said they could not get the issue to present itself and macrumors own poll shows a good percentage of people who don't have the issue. It is possible wether you believe it or not not. I hope apple gets it figured out for those who have the problem.

18. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

I agree with this, it does not make sense at all. But I can tell you that my new phone has worked flawlessy all day. Very strange.

19. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I have never been able to create the problem - mine works fine - always.

20. jonstatt macrumors member

I don't think the coating theory holds much merit. i researched this as best I could. From what I understand they become less effective (per thickness in microns) as the frequency increases. As we are dealing with high frequencies here, I think it would have to be a very thick coating! If some phones had a thick lacquer on the metal band, we would have noticed by now.

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Ok I'll back off a bit, hey I hope it is fixed. All I know is that before I went to take my first phone in for replacement, I was at work and I could not get it to fail. Then even at the mall I couldn't get it to fail. Sometimes I can't get it to lose signal, other times I can. Sometimes even in the same place it failed before I can't. Signal varies I guess but hey,maybe you got lucky.

I just don't see how that's even possible, I mean what's different about your phone that came out of the same batch as my 2 replacements and that other thread where the guy still has the issue?

Just doesn't make any sense. I'm not doubting you or calling you a liar at all, just that I don't think there is any build difference between our phones.

Will you make a video?

22. kangaralph macrumors member

speculating here but this is probably why att moved to the 29th. cuz i ask an ATT rep and they told me to go on Tues. for a perfectly working phone

23. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

They told people that before the phone was even released on the 24th. That came out the 23rd, and AT&T doesn't know squat. So they knowingly sold bad phones?

Doubtful.

24. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

Maybe his first phone was just defective. Maybe one of its internal components was bad in a manner such that its reception/transmission was really weak, so it would drop calls in places that other iPhone 4 units wouldn't have, completely aside from the antenna issue. Isn't that possible? Likely, even, that there would be a few defective units among 1.7 million?

25. richard371 macrumors 68000

Well if it can be proven that there are phones that do not have this problem then no matter what Steve says, Apple will be required by law to replace all phones that do have the problem. My advice is to use a case until this gets rectified.