Exchanged MBP; but didn't wipe passwords, personal data, etc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ddiogyn, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ddiogyn macrumors member

Dear Forum,

I took my faulty MBP to the Apple Store in London today. Thinking they'd simply take it for repair, they instead offered me a brand new (but otherwise the same specification) MBP.

In the excitement of being offered a shiny new machine i forgot all about my personal files and data (of which i otherwise have backed-up copies) which include email/website passwords, internet banking passwords, and downloaded bank statements...

Although the user account was password-protected, it wasn't encrypted. The MBP had a faulty screen and i assume they'll repair it, wipe the drive and perform a clean install, before re-selling it.

Should i be at all worried and change all my passwords?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would be slightly concerned. Change your passwords and be done with it.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

When my wife's machine was replaced, I sat in the Apple Store and reformatted the computer myself with the quickest zero out option. Better safe than sorry.

4. chan2004 macrumors regular

i think you took a chance there

yesterday, i took my MB for repair.
    But I completly formatted my mac before giving it.

It is very easy to recover data even once they are deleted. So, i will be a little bit worried and would go to apple store and see if something can be done.

I hope you didn't save your credit card details in your laptop as some dumb people do

5. ddiogyn thread starter macrumors member

I haven't a credit card, though i might just have been stupid enough to save its details if i had!

Well i've changed all my passwords and requested a new Maestro issue.

I shall remember to wipe all sensitive data from my computer should i ever have to take it to the Apple store again (aside: looks like i may have to, the new MBP is producing some odd noises :mad: after having gone through all the trouble of restoring my data).

It just goes to show you can't be too careful!

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would call to the Apple Store and ask them to reformat the HD.

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Apple is not going to resell the computer with all of your data on it. It will undergo the usual refurb process, which includes reformatting the HD to it's "like new" state. Your only concern would be a less-than-honorable person at the apple store, who could easily access your account by resetting the password with the OS install disk.

8. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

apple will reinstall leopard or snow leopard from scratch before selling it as a refurb

so unless there is a sneaky apple employee you are fine

9. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

This is what I would be worried about...especially if you call and tell them that your info is on it and to please reformat it.

"Yes sir, I'll get right on it! (after I clone the drive...)"