at Best Buy. I have been wishing for a couple of weeks now that I'd sprung for the 64, but decided to wait and see if any turned up in the stores (I have the Silver Premier Rewards status, so I have a 60-day return window). Yesterday I saw that my local BB had them in stock. I waited until today, figuring if someone was desperately wanting it, I should let them have the first crack at it. When I went in, it was exchanged without any problem (the clerk said normally they won't do it if it is just a color/size exchange, though she admitted it isn't specified anywhere--same deal, they want customers who are waiting to get them). So, despite a twinge of guilt, I am comforting myself that if someone was waiting that desperately, they would have already picked one up, since it has been listed as "available" since yesterday. It appears I did not get the last one, because it's been a few hours and the website is still showing it as "available." Plus I know that this stock is separate from the pre-orders. When I called AppleCare to transfer my AppleCare plan to the new phone, I asked what will happen to the one I returned--whether they would send it out to be re-furbed. The guy at Apple said that BB would probably sell it as an "open box" item. I sort of hope they do that, and give a price break to someone who wants it. The phone I brought back was in perfect condition, and I hope it goes to a "good home," lol. So, I think I have to go lie down--all this rationalization has worn me out.