Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
at Best Buy. I have been wishing for a couple of weeks now that I'd sprung for the 64, but decided to wait and see if any turned up in the stores (I have the Silver Premier Rewards status, so I have a 60-day return window).

Yesterday I saw that my local BB had them in stock. I waited until today, figuring if someone was desperately wanting it, I should let them have the first crack at it.

When I went in, it was exchanged without any problem (the clerk said normally they won't do it if it is just a color/size exchange, though she admitted it isn't specified anywhere--same deal, they want customers who are waiting to get them).

So, despite a twinge of guilt, I am comforting myself that if someone was waiting that desperately, they would have already picked one up, since it has been listed as "available" since yesterday. It appears I did not get the last one, because it's been a few hours and the website is still showing it as "available." Plus I know that this stock is separate from the pre-orders.

When I called AppleCare to transfer my AppleCare plan to the new phone, I asked what will happen to the one I returned--whether they would send it out to be re-furbed. The guy at Apple said that BB would probably sell it as an "open box" item. I sort of hope they do that, and give a price break to someone who wants it. The phone I brought back was in perfect condition, and I hope it goes to a "good home," lol.

So, I think I have to go lie down--all this rationalization has worn me out. :rolleyes:

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Well, supply is catching up with demand. That is why the stores are slowly having inventory built up.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
I dunno, it still seems to be very erratic and funky. One BB apparently has at least a couple of these 64s. Most of the other models are out of stock there. Some of the other models are available at a couple of the other stores.

It doesn't seem like it is "catching up" in any real sense. You just have to keep checking for the model you're interested in, including all different stores in the area. I drove to a store almost an hour away to pick up the 32 when I bought it about a week after the launch date. There was only one there, but the store in the mall across the street had several of the same one.

I do like dealing with Best Buy--any time I have ever had any kind of customer service issue it has been satisfactorily resolved within a short time (I once had a credit card issue that took three months to completely straighten out despite fairly diligent efforts on the part of several associates, but that was unusual). They are more convenient for me than the Apple Store, so I generally buy from them (plus I like their Rewards policy).

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Well, "the early bird catches the worm."

As you've said yourself, if people truly wanted to get it, they would have been at BB the moment they restocked. You shouldn't feel guilty at all. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.