iPad Exchanged rMini for Air......much happier

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rajpatel, Dec 27, 2013.

1. rajpatel macrumors regular

I have to echo those who spoke of less difference between the two now than a year ago. I'll miss the mini for many things, but the Air is a better fit for me. It's pretty awesome. It's like having a Lexus after driving a Toyota Avalon (the 4) and then an MR2. It's just nice to sit back and enjoy the ride with this one. For me the biggest difference it's far easier to read in bed holding the Air than 4.

I'm thinking about joining gamestops power up rewards thing where you can get about 320 for your 4, I want to get a ps4 after adding some more money. Which I will probably get flak for since I was dumb enough to tell my life story and finances here.

2. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Congrats! And you're fine one the rambling just not too personal, keeping it real. I love my ipad air!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats on the new iPad,
    I've said this before its a personal choice I like the mini over the air, but others prefer the larger form factor. There is no right or wrong answer here, just what tablet best fits your needs.

4. Davidsr20 macrumors member

Congrats on ur new slab. U will miss ur mini though :) I use my mini way more than I did my slab.

5. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I went for Air over Mini this year and I couldn't be happier either - perfect balance between screen size, balance, and weight.

Don't feel like I'd have to upgrade this for a couple of years either this time.

6. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I agree, I sold my 4 to upgrade to the Air, couldn't be happier (had the miniR, but to me Air was much better) :D

7. rajpatel, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the congrats. Yes, it does feel nice to bring home a new ipad. I've had that feeling three times now, though technically the mini doesn't count since it lived only a month before going to refurb heaven. Incidentally, I am glad it had that stupid refusal to play video now rather than after apples return deadline of jan 7

I had that problem a couple of times on the 4 but they seemed to self resolve. Basically it's where it says no data for videos but there is like five movies or whatever......a good number, and practically all the ones I ever bought. It wasn't letting me erase them or even play them in the end. So getting rid of the mini was made easy.

However, I do sincerely it was not a money issue. In the end, I consider too much electronics to b soul deadening. I first got this feeling in the early nineties with aol and tv together, then a decade later playing halo ce in the spring of 02 and immersing myself in it and consulting a well known game site for faqs. I felt like a robot. And more recently playing halo anniversary in 12 and 13 and even binging recently on Gta 5.........I find that these days, I am enjoying reading about video game addiction and the like more than actually playing games.

And I was always moderate with gaming. Rite now it's weird because my whole being will not allow me to touch any gaming system less than Xbox one or ps4 and since I detest ms for many reasons, it will never be xb again unless the halo sequel is incredible. And probably still not then, cuz I'm sick of halo anyway.

I mean I haven't played any game since Gta mid oct when I got sick of being forced to land that stupid helicopter on the tower. The controls suck. But I don't have money for next gen. However even if I did, and I personally feel I always do in some way or,other.....like my 4 lying around plus the plasma center down the road.......three hundred bucks a month for a needle in ur arm twice a month. When I was living in my car in the late nineties, those places were a boon. But I will really think things thru extensively before going next gen. When I was selling my ps3 in late oct and early nov and took it around to few places and two customers.....it spent two wks in my car. Yeah, I know it has delicate parts, but sometimes u just tired. Anyway, I liked it being in my car trunk for two weeks. That felt powerful. And I want to continue to explore that if possible.

8. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I did just the opposite - exchanged the Air for the rMini, and I too am much happier. To each his own.

9. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I think part of it is also what other devices you have. I've noticed a few people I know who have the mini have a 13" laptop, so the Air is almost too close. The mini is a nice medium between a 13" notebook and a phone. Meanwhile, the Air is in the middle of my 15" MBPr and my phone.

10. Macalicious2011 macrumors member

I just tried gaming on an iPhone 5 and it made me love my iPad 3 even more. Although the iPhone 5 felt more handheld, the gaming experience simply lacks the immersiveness of the iPad. There is so much of the lovely graphics and details in Real Racing 3 and in Angry Birds' GO! that don't project on a small screen.

When I return to London tomorrow there is an iPhone 5S waiting for me. My other iDevice is a Macbook Pro Retina. Having toyed with my brother's iPhone 5 I am now less worried that the iPhone will render the iPad useless.

11. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

It's a personal preference.

For me, I love my rMINI. I use it more than I had been using my iPad 2. I love the portability and small form factor.

12. Davidsr20 macrumors member

This is exactly how I feel. I use my mini a lot more than my iPad 3. It's so much more useable.

13. TheSwede macrumors regular

I have an Air and i also just picked up a rMini.
    The two are different devices imo. The Air does have that Wow factor that the rMini does not. But the portability of the rMini makes up for that.

Not really fair to compare them against each other but having both I have to say I would choose the rMini if I had to chose between the two - simply for the portability.

If i would never bring my tablets ouside of the house i would definitely choose the Air over the mini.

It's going to be very interesting to se if a larger iPad enters the market.

14. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

More interesting still will be the question of whether you can refrain from buying that larger ipad.

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've never tried the mini, although I was very tempted when it first came out. If the first version was retina, I probably would have switched from the iPad 3 to the retina. But then the iPad Air being lighter and smaller this year kept me loyal to the Air. I really like having the full real estate of the bigger screen. I actually never had a problem traveling with the 3 and now is even better with the Air. I take my iPad with me and basically use it anywhere that I have the opportunity to sit for a bit. I.e. When I'm a passenger in the car, I always have my Air. The only thing I don't do is use it when walking around, shopping, etc. For that, the iPhone works fine.

I even thought about the mini for like five minutes this year but then between my husband and I, we have 4 devices on cellular and another would definitely not make good sense. Then I also have my iPad on one of the original no contract, evergreen renewable unlimited data plans and would fear losing it if I tried to switch it to the mini. I'm not convinced my carrier would have any share or tethering plan that would be as good as my unlimited plan. And it's a must for me to keep it. It's great to be able to stream a movie on a road trip.

16. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I had originally bought an iPad Air and then returned it and waited on the rMini.

I prefer the mini as I have pretty small hands and it's just easier to hold the rMini. I also prefer it since I can carry it in my purse and feel it's much more portable. ;)

17. JGWolven macrumors regular

I have the Air, and bought the mini for my girlfriend. Since I've bought it, I use it when she doesn't to try to get a feel for it. There's something cool about holding something so cool in a size so small. It wears off quickly though. I want to fall in love with the rMini, but I can't. There's not one task (in terms if any kind if media consumption, whether it be browsing or multimedia) that I think the mini does better than the air, in my opinion of course. The Mini does win hands down when using it in bed, though.

TL;DR - Air is the nice neighborhood girl you want to bring home to your parents. The Mini is like Jennifer Lawrence that you just don't ever want to leave the sheets.

18. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Eh that's not the best analogy.

I like my rMini so far coming from an ipad 3